Author Topic: Calibrating a Hakko 939 (Anyone familiar with this?)  (Read 1439 times)

Offline FizbinTopic starter

Calibrating a Hakko 939 (Anyone familiar with this?)
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:37:51 am »
I'm installing a new tip on my 903 iron for my 939. There seems to be two methods for calibration.  One method is using a tip thermometer. Another method, (or perhaps this method is in conjunction with the tip thermometer) you have to take the offset temp that's printed on the tip, etc ,etc.

So do I have to perform both methods? Can I just measure the tip? Yes, you can tell I'm a beginner. :)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Calibrating a Hakko 939 (Anyone familiar with this?)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 11:57:42 am »
You normally do one or the other.

Not sure if you're using multiple tips but if it is the same genuine Hakko tip type and things are still working fine no need to calibrate at all. If your new tip does have an offset listed though and you have not calibrated your station before, it's fine to start using the new offset. e.g. crank it up the heat +10 degrees or whatever it says for that tip.

If you don't have a thermometer and are on a budget they sell clone Hakko FG-100 for $15 or so on ebay, celsius only I think so if you can live with that it's a bargain.

When you calibrate the station you can calibrate it either to an offset tip or a tip that has no offset, it's up to you and depends how much tip swapping you do. Calibrating to an offset tip would mean if you put a non-offset tip in the iron you would need to adjust the station to cancel out the offset.

If your station supports presets you can set up presets as offsets. e.g. a +10 degree setting for a specific tip. Hope you can wrap your head around this.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline FizbinTopic starter

Re: Calibrating a Hakko 939 (Anyone familiar with this?)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 01:27:35 pm »
Lost track of this thread and my post. Anyway, thanks very much!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf