Author Topic: Camera for SMD work  (Read 3244 times)

Offline sairfan1Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Camera for SMD work
« on: February 01, 2021, 10:45:59 pm »
Can you please recommend some HD Camera for SMD work that has directly HDMI out and price range between $100 to $300, cheaper is better (I will prefer buying from Aliexpress).

I remember Dave did a video regarding Chinese camera for SMD work but i could not find.

Offline de9ed

Re: Camera for SMD work
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 02:15:51 pm »
Probably an Eakins, the one in the video I believe is imx290 sony camera (autofocus), the price is around $500+ with stand and everything.

The one I am using is Eakins as well, costs around $240 USD + $25 CAD import fee. does not have autofocus and cannot be turned off unless you have an inline switch or manually plug out. I feel the quality of the setup is quite good otherwise.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001915974422.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3a114c4dm9SqM0

The one I bought was package A and 180X. delivery fees were 60$ before now they change to 90$ (I would message the seller asking why the price increase and see if they can match the lower price)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 02:17:53 pm by de9ed »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 02:17:30 pm »
If it's for soldering, forget about the camera and buy optical microscope. Just for inspection camera is OK.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:21:00 pm by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: Pack34, ogden, Manul

Offline larsdenmark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 09:35:30 am »
Andonstar AD407 gets good reviews.

There is also a version called AD409 that is better, but slightly outside of your price range.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 10:24:52 pm »
What are Chinese good brands available on aliexpress or ebay.

Offline Pack34

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 10:27:22 pm »
An optical microscope is where you want to be. You'll spend more money on a camera to get the latency down. All the cameras I tried that were <$200 had to crank the resolution down to get a usable frame rate. I swear by the Amscope offerings.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 10:31:14 pm »
can you please share some link what you think is better choice?

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 10:32:57 pm »
If you are wanting it for actually doing SMD work, I would put the money towards a decent stereo microscope instead. Video is for showing other people, not for you to see what you are doing :)

Also, whether you are using a microscope directly or a camera, the lighting is just as important. Invest in a couple of lighting options. Many systems just have a ring light etc and this can hide a lot of issues. Side lighting can be very helpful. Being able to mix the combination of both is tremendously valuable.

Offline jerryk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 12:24:52 am »
I just purchased the Andonstar AD407.  It is just great for easy inspection, component ID, and magnified photos.  It's ok for soldering and may just require more practice, but for now, I still fall back on my AmScope SE400-Z for most of my soldering work.

Jerry 

The following users thanked this post: sairfan1

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 06:27:25 am »
Here is a thread that touches on a lot of questions regarding microscopes and cameras for soldering:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/the-ergonomics-of-microscope-soldering-direct-optical-view-vs-cameramo-257888/

But if this doesn’t address your questions just search the EEV forums for “Amscope.”  There are lots of microscope / camera / soldering threads.  Optical with or without a camera is the way to go.

The following users thanked this post: sairfan1

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 11:18:18 am »
One thing I would say is, don't be concerned about getting particularly high magnification. My Amscope goes from 7x-45x (0.7-4.5x with 10x eyepieces) and I hardly ever change it from 7x, in fact I am considering getting a 0.5 Barlow lens to change it to 3.5x, so I get a wider field of view.

Even at 7X I get all the magnification I need to work with 0402 components and larger.

I agree with the people who have said to spend your money on better glass, instead of a camera. If your aim is to solder, not make youtube videos about soldering, you will get more benefit from a good microscope than a good camera.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 05:52:43 pm »
An optical microscope is where you want to be. You'll spend more money on a camera to get the latency down. All the cameras I tried that were <$200 had to crank the resolution down to get a usable frame rate. I swear by the Amscope offerings.
what camera's decade are you buying? this $100+ is what i use day to day.. zero latency at 60fps 1080p. 34MP HDMI Microscope Camera (Hayear, Amszoom Ykins Tech China) Quick Review no auto focus though. its better to have auto focus, but it need to be disabled-able.

ps: i have an optical Dynascope TS-2 110V Rotating Disc AC Motor, LED Light, Articulated Arm Stand Mod the closest thing i can get to more modern Mantis scope at cheap ($200+ incl shipped from US). but its too bulky for my desk, so its just on a display next to my working bench now. i'm not comfortable to the idea that my head to be in a certain position to watch my board without being aware of surronding environment like normal cheaper brand stereo optical offering. so i feel more freedom with my Camera scope on 27" monitor. ymmv.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 06:14:21 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 06:56:49 pm »
My primary objective is to inspect SMD work done through oven, but for sure i will have to fix it as well, that means i will be soldering as well.  And there could be some components i will be soldering/adding
 later.
For now what i learn is, something like AmScope would work and i should take care of light.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 07:53:56 pm »
I use my phone, digital zoom in (mine goes to 8x) and voila! pretty good macro screen to zip around the PCB with in your pocket at all times.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 08:22:29 pm »
For now what i learn is, something like AmScope would work and i should take care of light.

FWIW, I have an AmScope. In a previous life, I had access and used a variety of expensive Olympus and Nikon stereo microscopes. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the AmScope that I bought. I got one similar to this: https://www.amscope.com/stereo-microscopes/boom-stands/3-5x-180x-trinocular-stereo-microscope-with-4-zone-144-led-ring-light-and-10mp-camera.html

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 09:12:23 pm »
FWIW, I have an AmScope. In a previous life, I had access and used a variety of expensive Olympus and Nikon stereo microscopes. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the AmScope that I bought. I got one similar to this: https://www.amscope.com/stereo-microscopes/boom-stands/3-5x-180x-trinocular-stereo-microscope-with-4-zone-144-led-ring-light-and-10mp-camera.html
We got basically that same microscope at work, but a long time ago, and it had a fluorescent ring light that ate up a huge amount of your working distance.  I made a piece of PC board with two copper rings and powered it from a 12V DC wall wart.  Then, I soldered 8 white LEDs and series resistors to the rings.  I made this a large enough diameter so that the ring fits AROUND the black conical part of the microscope, instead of BELOW it.  That opened up a lot of the working distance.

The dual boom stand is very good, it is much stiffer than a small, single rod, and keeps the microscope from bobbing.

Jon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 08:22:54 pm »
I was planning to start with buying a used video camera and try it, it will also help me to understand how it goes while working, can somebody advise me what lens specs should i consider, like i was look at a camera its lens says 4.0 - 160mm 1:3 - 6.5
What does those number means, what should i consider to do a reasonable job from a small distance like around 1 foot,

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 08:56:37 pm »
You will need a video camera with a good macro lens capability, either built-in or one you can attach.

As far as what the numbers mean: https://www.shuttertalk.com/numbers-on-cameras-lens/

And critical to success is good lighting.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 09:01:37 pm »
Ah, yes sure, they can talk lens focal length, is that 35mm film equivalent or fore real? those microscopes will not have a 35mm film frame sized sensors, often equivalent figures are given but is a field full of mines of misunderstandings and misuse of numbers for marketing.

On a 35mm camera a 50mm lens gives a zoom or magnification of 1, a 100mm lens will be 2x. Often the 35mm equivalents are quoted on compact camera's to make it easier to compare although that hides other things not taken into account that don't matter so much here but do to a photographer like depth of field and the perception of distances which in a microscope are not a problem.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf