Author Topic: homemade DMM CALI check  (Read 6646 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TorqueRangerTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 340
  • Country: us
homemade DMM CALI check
« on: December 20, 2012, 04:06:56 pm »
I picked up a used    Fluke 77 Series II and I was seeing if someone built anything so you can check the DMM Cali without  a reference ... I have basic equipment and that's about it ... I know about the DMMCheck but wanted to see if anyone built anything cheaper ???
 

Offline SeanB

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 16394
  • Country: za
Re: homemade DMM CALI check
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 04:09:11 pm »
I bought an AD581kh and used it. Cheapest one with good accuracy at RS in a package you can actually see and solder to.
 

Offline quarks

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 875
  • Country: de
Re: homemade DMM CALI check
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 04:54:35 pm »
I can highly recommend Joe Gellers products (see www.gellerlabs.com). I have the SVR and I am very happy with it. You can even buy only his board for very little money and build your own reference. I can confirm that the SVR is very accurate. For example it agrees with my calibrated Tek DMM 4050 and with my best DC calibrator Valhalla 2701C within less than 5 ppm!!! That is amazing for this little money.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:56:41 pm by quarks »
 

Offline Jeff1946

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 106
Re: homemade DMM CALI check
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 05:19:40 pm »
You can buy 0.1% tolerance resistors for about $0.30 from Mouser.  Would give you a quick check on meter performance.  Maybe get 3 10k ones to assure resistor isn't defective.  If they all measure the same, you could put 3 in series across a 9v battery and verify linearity.  I assume meter has about 10M input resistance so it will slightly affect reading since 10k/10M is 1/1000 which is resistor tolerance.
 

alm

  • Guest
Re: homemade DMM CALI check
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:31:03 pm »
The interesting part about the Geller / Voltagestandard products is not that they stuck a reference IC on a PCB, but that they calibrated it with a very accurate bench DMM. For a calibrator, the focus is usually on stability, not initial accuracy. A reference IC might drift less than 0.01% in a year, but the initial accuracy may be only 5%. So you need an accurate DMM to figure out the actual value. Testing all voltage references to be within 0.01 % would be extremely expensive for the manufacturer. Even the very expensive heated zener references (eg. LM399, LTZ1000) are only specified to be 7V ish, +/- 5% or so.
 

Offline PA4TIM

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1179
  • Country: nl
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
Re: homemade DMM CALI check
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:26:03 am »
For a Fluke 77 a simple reference will do. You do not need uV stability and precision. Most references are guaranteed to some value. Just find one that meets the resolution of your meter as much as possible. And if it is aged enough find someone with a calibrated meter and check your reference.

I have a 77-III, i found it about 15 years ago on a dirt-road in the rain. Used it around 10 years only in my garage, its yellow protector was totally black. It was in my toolbox while driving oldtimers without any holster other then the yellow protector.
And upto today it is still spot on. Never adjusted it in all those years. I tested it a few weeks ago again while doing some calibrations.  And in all those years I had to change the batteries twice and soon i think for the 3rd time. I have to recharge my agilent  allmost every week ( but I use that more often)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel
 

Offline TorqueRangerTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 340
  • Country: us
Re: homemade DMM CALI check
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 01:11:18 pm »
My plan was to make a cheap reference board  ... But I have no way of checking because I have a cheap craftsman and now a fluke which needs to be check ...I am not sure how accurate this process will be but it's the best I got ...For AC I just plugged both of my meters in the wall  and compared both readings...  But the best I could was to power up my cheap power supply and check the readings between the craftsman,fluke,and the display on the supply ,which where spot on with each other....Next I went through my old parts and found a couple 1% resistors and I know they are not the best  but it's all I got for now ...I hooked my meters up to the resistors and found them to be spot on too yah for me lol .... I am not sure how to check the diode setting  and the amps setting can't be check right now because the fuses are blow and are being order for replacement ...
 

Offline TorqueRangerTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 340
  • Country: us
Re: homemade DMM CALI check
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 02:45:17 pm »
Is it possible to build a DDM reference with a prototype board with any kind of accuracy????????
Also can you build a reference without calibrating it and will this accurate ????
 

Offline Amarbir[Lynx-India]

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 431
  • Country: in
  • Indian Dealer
    • Lynx-India - Visit Us For Not So Boring Electronic Instruments
Re: homemade DMM CALI check
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 02:57:06 pm »
Is it possible to build a DDM reference with a prototype board with any kind of accuracy? ??? ??? ?
Also can you build a reference without calibrating it and will this accurate ??? ?

Well,
   here is a company called voltage standard that makes low cost stuff for this work .Please check the same
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ Lynx-India ] , Chandigarh [ India ] - > www.lynxdealerstore.com , www.lynx-india.com
Indian Distributor For  [ Autoelectric , Sofitech , IDEOfy ,Peak Electronic Design [UK ] , Anatek And Creatronica ]
My Electronics Blog - > www.lynxchandigarh.com
 

Offline Matje

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 135
Re: homemade DMM CALI check
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:53 pm »
Is it possible to build a DDM reference with a prototype board with any kind of accuracy????????

Yes, depending on your definition of accuracy.

Also can you build a reference without calibrating it and will this accurate ????

To a degree.

Use e.g. a LT1021C for 5 or 10 Volts and it will have initial tolerance of about 0.05%, plus aging of course.

Good enough for checking out many (most?) handheld DMMs.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->