Author Topic: Can Electrical Glue Gun Be Used For Isolation Of Conductors?  (Read 22058 times)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: Can Electrical Glue Gun Be Used For Isolation Of Conductors?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 03:24:07 pm »
You misintepreted my answer sir.
What i mean was " You don't glue mosfets do you? "

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 03:30:52 pm »
You misintepreted my answer sir.
What i mean was " You don't glue mosfets do you? "

Your answer made no sense in relation to the subject of the thread, and still doesn't.

Offline Joe M

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 06:48:11 am »
Just want to chime in with my first post, hot glue is ok as long as the internal temperature of the device in question is relatively low. For example you shouldnt have any problems with your telephone adapter and most equipment. But when it comes to hot stuff, like amplifiers and such, I much rather use standard silicon, because even if hot snot wont completely melt, it will become soft as temperature rises, so it may actually unglue from say a PCB and such.

When i was recapping some old equipment which used Axial capacitors, i used Radials instead, and i glued them to the pcb with hot snot, after a few minutes of using the device, all caps unglued from the pcb due to increased temperature.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:49:52 am by Joe M »

Offline Gall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 09:46:07 am »
In most cases, hot glue is not considered "proper insulation" according to bureaucratic safety rules.

However, it works perfectly at low temperatures provided that the device remains cold. So it is adequate for low-powered battery devices, small current cables (except for building installations) and in similar cases. It may be used for HV insulation and filling in things like DIY tesla coils as well provided that adequate precautions (extra fuses, fire guard etc.) are taken. Remember, it is unsafe and strictly prohibited to use hot glue for mains and in all cases where the overload may cause wires to heat.
The difficult we do today; the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 10:42:46 am »
Use silicone outside of low temp devices and low voltage device. Works every single time

Offline ptricks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 12:35:44 pm »
Use silicone outside of low temp devices and low voltage device. Works every single time

100% silicone is probably the best thing to use anytime you need an insulator or something to hold things in place. It can withstand VERY high temps and doesn't conduct until you get to some seriously high voltages, silicone products are used as power line insulators. Downside is the smell until it fully cures.
Make sure it is 100% silicon, clear.
I use it all the time to pot components that are going into a marine environment.

Be careful with hot glue, not all manufacturers are the same and each can use different materials in the sticks.

Specs on clear silicone sealant are:
dielectric (insulation )is 23000volt per millimeter
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:38:03 pm by ptricks »

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 08:02:14 pm »
Unsure if this was mentioned before:

Be sure to buy something such as a neutral cure silicone adhesive/silicone rubber, the components and your nose will thank me before it cures (albeit acetic acid I have no clue what it would do to the insulation in this case, but it certainly could be corrosive to other things electrical, should the need arise to use it to glue something else down)

Alexander.

"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 08:33:56 pm »
I not sure if it is now but at one time the ring signal voltage was 90 V and the voice voltage 48 to 50 volts so if glue gun material is only good to 50 volts will it withstand the ring voltage. I one shorted the phone line and blew the fuse at the exchange that was in the 70's.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf