Author Topic: Can I damage my PSU by PWM LED dimmer?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline yinTopic starter

Can I damage my PSU by PWM LED dimmer?
« on: August 20, 2015, 11:13:21 pm »
Hello,

I have a cheapo 12V 100W power supply from eBay and another cheapo LED dimmer. It dims my 6W bench LED strip and uses PWM to do so. When powering anything, which switches rapidly, the powersupply makes these squiky sounds, like old transformers do.

Are there any power supplies out there, which can be damaged by a rapid switching action? How can I decide, if the sound is not an indication of potential problems?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 11:18:09 pm by yin »

Offline rickselectricalprojects

• Regular Contributor
Re: Can I damage my PSU by PWM LED dimmer?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 04:06:21 am »
Hello,

I have a cheapo 12V 100W power supply from eBay and another cheapo LED dimmer. It dims my 6W bench LED strip and uses PWM to do so. When powering anything, which switches rapidly, the powersupply makes these squiky sounds, like old transformers do.

Are there any power supplies out there, which can be damaged by a rapid switching action? How can I decide, if the sound is not an indication of potential problems?
no there should be no problem with power a pwm dimmer, those power supply's are designed to do that. the squeaky sound is probably (don't quote me on this) the power supply drawing current. i have the same power supply and it powers my UHF CB radio (my radio draws 1.5A) but it doesn't make that sound when i transmit. maybe a problem with the power supply.
i hope this helps
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:12:31 am by rickselectricalprojects »

Offline yinTopic starter

Re: Can I damage my PSU by PWM LED dimmer?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:51:22 pm »
Thanks rickselectricalprojects, I find it helpful. The problem is, the sound is not user friendly, which is a requirement with my project (I'm rebuilding my bench).

If there's a way to make the circuit more quite, I'd try it out. Maybe it is possible to filter out the resonance with some caps and such. I'll update the thread if I find a way to do it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf