Author Topic: Can I substitute an induction motor for a compressor for testing  (Read 527 times)

Offline EamonTopic starter

• Contributor
I'm trying to debug an inverter fault on a heat pump and to make it easier I want to substitute the compressor that is normally connected to the inverter module for a spare motor I have so that I can set the inverter module up inside on a bench (it reports a fault if nothing is connected to it's outputs).

The compressor is a Mitsubishi TNB220FLHMC; 3 phase, 38-200v, 20-220Hz and I've measured the winding resistances, it is ~1.1 ohm between each.

The candidate motor is a 3HP, 415v, 50Hz induction motor from an wood lathe. It measures ~5.5ohms between each winding.

Will it work or am I likely to damage either the inverter or motor?  I don't expect to run the motor for more than about 30 seconds at a time.

Alternatively is there something else that I could use in place of the compressor?

Offline Chriss

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Can I substitute an induction motor for a compressor for testing
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 07:50:34 am »
Probably you won't kill anything, but you could get an error also, cos the resistance of the spare motor.
But maybe you won't gett the error, it's depends how the error handling is made up in the compressor.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 07:50:15 pm »
Motors designed for higher frequencies (and RPM) have lower self inductance.

If you connect your 200V 220Hz motor to 200V 50Hz, it's likely to get damaged because of overcurrent.

One of the (most important) parameters to set up an inverter is the voltage to frequency ratio, and this is motor dependent.

But of course you can use the inverter itself as a fancy motor overload preventor. You can limit the max motor current (Which is what ultimatily determines (ohmic) heating) You can also limit your testing to lower voltages and frequencies. And use some common sense. Induction motors are quite robust, and the main failure mode is overheating, so keep an eye on the motor temperature. As long as you can touch it it's cool enough. Also note that at lower RPM's the fan on the motor axle it'self does not work very well, and this can also be a cause of overheating.

Offline EamonTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 10:33:04 pm »
Well I tried and while nothing blew up, the motor barely turns at a very slow speed with a bit of a high pitch for a second or two before the inverter faults out  with a "PFC fault".  Time to find a plan B.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf