Author Topic: Can you help me identify this SMD component?  (Read 799 times)

Offline mvno_subscriberTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Can you help me identify this SMD component?
« on: January 13, 2021, 08:31:03 pm »
I'm trying to fix a CD player (Project CD Box RS), and found a tiny little 6 pin chip where some of the plastic seemed to have melted. It is one of several small chips on a board that mainly contains a couple of voltage regulators, capacitors etc, as well as some pass through data bus (I think). I've already replaced a couple of L5970D regulators that blew (owner of the player managed to revert polarity of the power supply).

The chip in question has become unreadable, but it's identical to those on either side (see attached picture, the chip in question has been removed). As far as I can tell, they seem to read "2120". A 2 might be a Z for what I know.. Does anyone know what this chip is?

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
Re: Can you help me identify this SMD component?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 11:07:35 pm »
They are connected to the RJ45 socket which is being misused as the I2S output, so they are very likely two channel buffers. You can see two in, two out and ground, supply on the centre pins which is pretty common configuration for these little buffers, but I couldn't find a match for the code.

The following users thanked this post: mvno_subscriber

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 05:17:03 am »
That board looks quite filthy in the photo. Have you tried cleaning it a bit? The markings might become more visible too.

Offline mvno_subscriberTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 08:08:52 pm »
I think the closest I'm coming to this is something like this:

NJM2120 https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/294/NJM2120_E-365026.pdf
NJM2125 https://no.mouser.com/datasheet/2/294/NJM2125_E-1917100.pdf

I won't be using I2S on this, only SPDIF - so I guess I'm fine with just leaving them out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf