Author Topic: 'CE-marked' low voltage controlled contactor-in-a-box?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline alanambroseTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
'CE-marked' low voltage controlled contactor-in-a-box?
« on: September 08, 2021, 10:27:26 am »
Hi,

For a CNC - I want to switch an external fume extractor using a low voltage relay or similar already on on the CNC board. While I can mock up something myself I would prefer something off-the-shelf and CE-marked as this has to be given to customers. So, has anyone seen a sort of contactor-in-a-box (preferably with UK or IEC plugs / sockets) switched by low voltage or (less useful) by a USB signal?

TIA, Alan
“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Offline Badwolf

• Contributor
Re: 'CE-marked' low voltage controlled contactor-in-a-box?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 05:55:00 pm »
Be carfull, a CE marked product is not necessarily a good product. This marking does not require testing the product by a control organism. It is a self - certificate. The seller simply certifies that it meets certain standards. Unfortunately, I know a lot of products which have a CE mark but which do not respect the standards  :palm:. The only risk for the seller is in the event of a filing complaint
The simplest explanation is almost always somebody screwed up (Dr. House)

Online Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 03:55:08 pm »
You'll be lucky! I think youd be best to farm out your nearest panel builder or "box builder" with ISO9000 acreditation.

Offline vu2nan

• Contributor
    • Amateur Radio - VU2NAN - Nandu
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 06:33:12 am »
Hi Alan,

I'm sure one would be hard put to locate an off-the-shelf 'motor control box' comprising an MPCB, a contactor and an industrial socket.

I suppose you would have no choice but to roll your own!

Nandu.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 06:50:47 am by vu2nan »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 01:28:22 pm »
OK for anyone else looking for this kind of device - there's at least one UK supplier:

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/42-6701_CANFORD-OPTO-SWITCHER-Mk.2

Will switch 6A. Used e.g. in the AV industry to switch on the 'Live' light in a studio. Will support either a NO switch or a +V signal.

There's are also RS232-controlled switches for power control in server rooms.

Alan

• Frequent Contributor

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 01:00:33 am »
You would be better off consulting with a local electrician /  electrical engineer.   Here is the USA such an installation may require motor overload protection and even a disconnecting means.  The socket might pass as a disconnecting means but again this can become an issue of the local code.  Unlike a manually controlled tool once it is operating without a operator there is often a need for overload protection. 

You might be better off supplying a 24VDC signal for use by an electrician to hook up a proper relay.  In other words let the customer make sure the installation is proper. 

An alternative is to have your control system in a decent sized panel box with space for an internally mounted contractor.  Even here it is problematic because you will never know what type / size extractor they will want to connect to.  In the end you either offer your own solution or let the customer install whatever he wants. 

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 09:42:39 am »
Hi,

For a CNC - I want to switch an external fume extractor using a low voltage relay or similar already on on the CNC board. While I can mock up something myself I would prefer something off-the-shelf and CE-marked as this has to be given to customers. So, has anyone seen a sort of contactor-in-a-box (preferably with UK or IEC plugs / sockets) switched by low voltage or (less useful) by a USB signal?

TIA, Alan
any ssr in a box will do, or any classical contactor. just by one from uk, farnell or whatever you like, it will be CE certified for sure

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 09:52:57 am »
Hi,

TIA, Alan
any ssr in a box will do, or any classical contactor. just by one from uk, farnell or whatever you like, it will be CE certified for sure
Most SSRs are just components ( exposed terminals etc.), and not suitable for supply to end-users. 
Once you put it in a box, you assume responsibilty for things like creepage/clearance, flammability of the box etc. and different CE standards will apply.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf