Author Topic: Cleaning electical cables  (Read 2006 times)

Offline jj5Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Still learning about electronics...
    • www.jj5.net
Cleaning electical cables
« on: June 26, 2022, 12:23:28 pm »
Hi all. I tried searching (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+clean+an+electrical+cable&hps=1&atb=v320-1&ia=web) and I found some results (https://www.chemtronics.com/essential-guide-to-cable-cleaning, https://ecolink.com/cleanideas/whitepaper/cleaning-electrical-cables/) but I can't seem to get a straight answer on what solvent to use to clean electrical cables, like BNC cables, CAT5 cables, power cords, etc. What's the name of the insulating material and what's the best solvent to clean it with?

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
Re: Cleaning electical cables
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 01:15:18 pm »
plain ole wd40 is all you need

Offline tepalia02

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 01:19:44 pm »
For different types of cables, the solution seems to be different.

For power chords: https://youtu.be/H1i-eJfhZ8Y
For Ethernet: https://electroanswers.com/computer-hardware/how-do-you-clean-an-ethernet-cable/

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 01:25:38 pm »
plain ole wd40 is all you need

Careful, there are lots of WD40 products, you need to specify which one, eg the WD40 cleaner, the Water Displacer, etc. People have fallen foul of this before on the forum. You don't want to end up with an oily residue.

I find ordinary Meths (Methylated spirits*) and a piece of kitchen towel a very effective cable cleaner for standard PVC insulated cables of the type the OP mentioned.

*  https://www.simplesolvents.com/simple-solvents-blog/methylated-spirits
Best Regards, Chris

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 01:43:48 pm »
there are lots of WD40 products,
im sure there never used to be,i'm on about the original,bog standard ,wd40.

Offline jj5Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Still learning about electronics...
    • www.jj5.net
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 02:05:53 pm »
This is the WD40 product that I have: https://www.jj5.net/file/2022-06-27-000329/IMG_2831.JPG

Is that the right kind of WD40 for cleaning cables?

Or should I stick with ethanol?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 02:10:03 pm »
IPA, paper towel or microfiber cloth, and elbow grease.

Offline eugene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 02:55:13 pm »
I use naptha to clean lots of things. Works as well as IPA, less volatile (doesn't evaporate as quickly) and doesn't seem to hurt any of the materials I've used it on.

But there are lots of solvents that will work.
90% of quoted statistics are fictional

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 03:47:33 pm »
I start with Windex. Then 70% IPA for stubborn stuff.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 04:12:00 pm »
Most glass cleaners include some percent IPA. ;)

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 05:21:35 pm »

That's what happens when you're stupid enough to give your company the same name as your first product* ::)  As I mentioned, there have been several previous 'discussions' along the lines of "spray your sensitive switch with WD40"... "don't be a moron!" when it turns out that the poor first poster was actually referring to WD40 switch cleaner (which appears more common in the US). I notice that the OP has posted an image of WD40 Silicone spray (which might be more common in Australia).

Personally I avoid the traditional WD40 because it is designed to leave a rust repellant film on surfaces, (and having Silicone spray around will contaminate your work area, switch contacts etc).

One of the other concoctions containing IPA Ethanol is safest. I use meths because it is cheaper and more easily available (diy store) - I keep my good IPA for more critical tasks.

* https://www.wd40.com/

[Accidental double quote of themadhippy's post rempved]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 08:58:38 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: jj5

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 07:19:32 pm »
Don't forget good old soap and water and a bit of scrubbing. It's usually better than mild organic solvents like IPA and WD-40 for general cleaning of anything that won't be damaged by it. 

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 08:36:48 pm »
Use whatever detergent, degreaser, solvent that is nonreactive with insulation. Then use a dilute detergent to rinse residue and lastly clean a few times with water, preferably distilled.

First cleans, second removes cleaner residue, third removes detergent. This is the way.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 08:47:31 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 08:41:18 pm »
Most cables are PVC insulated, which is perfectly fine with IPA and ordinary household surface cleaners (Fantastik, 409, Cilit Bang, whatever’s common where you live). But yeah, soap and water accomplish a lot, too! There’s certainly no need for anything exotic!

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 08:56:12 pm »
Those soapy wipes (the ones that clog sewers) work well for easy cleaning. Again though I'd use a damp cloth to wipe it afterwards.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 07:51:12 am »
You are correct.  There was the original product, simply known as WD-40, but it is now being used as a brand, under which there are many products.

That's what happens when you're stupid enough to give your company the same name as your first product* ::) 
Yeah.  Someone obviously wanted to make the most of the reputation the original product had built - but it was a really short-sighted move.

I notice that the OP has posted an image of WD40 Silicone spray (which might be more common in Australia).
Nope.  While these other products are available if you look, the general perception in Australia is that mention of "WD-40" refers to the original product (with the oily residue).  People need to be educated that it is now a brand, with several products under that brand.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:53:37 am by Brumby »

Offline penfold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 08:42:34 am »
Most cables are PVC insulated, which is perfectly fine with IPA and ordinary household surface cleaners (Fantastik, 409, Cilit Bang, whatever’s common where you live). But yeah, soap and water accomplish a lot, too! There’s certainly no need for anything exotic!

Now, its no something I've studied, just observed and adjusted my cleaning to suit, but it appears that PVC is prone to a couple of different kinds of 'soiling' that don't always lift with a single solvent. There's definately the usual day-to-day grime of oils and dust combined which clears easily with soapy water; but also seems that rubberised PVC has a tendency to develop a much more tenacious grime even when simply left in storage in anything other than totally benign clean dry air... dunno if that's something anybody can shed any light on towards finding the ideal combo of solvents?

If I have a can of Servisol anti-staic foam cleaner nearby, I use that in first instance, it seems to get most things. Would probably follow up with soapy water, IPA or naptha, depenging on its proximity to hand. I was glad to see the suggestion of naptha, seems to be an underapprechiated solvent.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 10:03:38 am »
PVC is made flexible by the addition of a plasticiser. Avoid anything which will leave an oily residue on the cable, because the plasticiser can leach out into the oil, causing the cable to become brittle. Alcohol based solvents are generally safer to use with PVC, than oil based ones.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2022, 03:49:54 pm »
cables can come with all sorts of sheathing material, this especially when you leave the home/commercial world for the world of industrial cables.    Some of these materials will be sensitive to various chemicals but more likely they are designed to resist the common exposures they receive in the industrial world.

the problem with cables, outside the industrial world, is that the common PVC insulation used widely is degraded by oils and probably some solvents.   As such I'd avoid anything with petroleum based cleaning agents and use soap and water.   PVC insulation will actually become brittle when exposed to hydraulic oil for example.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf