Author Topic: Cloud Lifter (Custom Circuit) Newbie Question  (Read 245 times)

Offline jim_griffTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Personal Text goes here.
    • Principal Audio
Cloud Lifter (Custom Circuit) Newbie Question
« on: March 19, 2024, 12:42:48 pm »
So, as a total newbie to JFETs (and basically electronics as a whole), I'm trying to design something akin to a Cloud Lifter - a device used to pre-amplify a dynamic microphone's signal to a decent level before the proper preamp stage. It uses 48V phantom power to power the circuit. I believe Phantom power is usually fed via 6.81k resistors to both the hot and cold signal wires to the microphone. In this case, that 48V isn't usually needed for a dynamic mic, but is instead used to power the JFETs in the circuit.

Pic 1 is my circuit.
Pic 2 is simplified circuit.
Pic 3 is also the same simplified circuit but different arrangement.
*Topologies are the same, just arranged differently so you can see how it's all connected.

My question is this: How on Earth does it work to amplify the signal? :-DD I can't for the life of me figure out where the gain comes from.

I can't find anything online where people have JFETs in this configuration. i.e. "Back-to-back", or I guess a kind of Darlington Pair but with the power connected to different terminals...

Apologies for such a newbie question, but if anyone could point me in the direction of good resources for JFETs, I'd very much appreciate it! Cheers.

P.S. Pics 4 and 5 are the generated outputs of the TINA-TI simulation. It seems to work, but I'm going to order some JFETs in the meantime so I can make up a PCB in a week or two.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Cloud Lifter (Custom Circuit) Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 01:16:08 pm »
Its a differential modified cascode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascode
Instead of grounding the Gate of the upper FET, its connected to the lower FET Source so it to a large extent tracks the input signal maintaining the Vds of the lower FET more nearly constant.  Pic3 shows this most clearly.   

The following users thanked this post: jim_griff

Offline jim_griffTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Personal Text goes here.
    • Principal Audio
Re: Cloud Lifter (Custom Circuit) Newbie Question
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 01:22:57 pm »
Thanks so much Ian! I'll have a good look into Cascode designs. Something I've heard of before but never looked into. Had no idea this was anything like that.

Thanks again. Really appreciate the help!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf