Author Topic: Coil Whine in an audio preprocessor  (Read 342 times)

Offline orbitalframe7Topic starter

Coil Whine in an audio preprocessor
« on: June 09, 2023, 09:36:58 pm »
I have located a source of coil whine on an Outlaw Audio preprocessor. It appears to be the transformer or an inducter but I can't find the company who made the transformer. I found some in aliexpress calling them Ferrite Core Switching Power Supply Transformers
but in digikey was only able to find 1 in the fixed inductor category however seems to be the wrong type. Also to add, the coil whines only when the unit is off/stand by. When it turns on it is quiet.

• Should I epoxy the offending component?
  • Should I just sound dampen the unit?
  • I also noticed the leads are 4+4 however the board can take 4+6. If I do get a replacement would I solder 4+4 by cutting off the unnecessary leads?
  • How would I find the right type by using a multimeter? Do I check for resistance or Ohms or something like that?

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
Re: Coil Whine in an audio preprocessor
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 10:53:00 pm »
I have located a source of coil whine on an Outlaw Audio preprocessor. It appears to be the transformer or an inducter but I can't find the company who made the transformer. I found some in aliexpress calling them Ferrite Core Switching Power Supply Transformers
but in digikey was only able to find 1 in the fixed inductor category however seems to be the wrong type. Also to add, the coil whines only when the unit is off/stand by. When it turns on it is quiet.

• Should I epoxy the offending component?
  • Should I just sound dampen the unit?
  • I also noticed the leads are 4+4 however the board can take 4+6. If I do get a replacement would I solder 4+4 by cutting off the unnecessary leads?
  • How would I find the right type by using a multimeter? Do I check for resistance or Ohms or something like that?
This is a mains operated switching power supply. Do not mess around with it unless you know what you are doing as you run the risk of destroying the circuitry or even giving yourself an electric shock.

Do not change the transformer with anything but an exact equivalent. You can perhaps search for the transformer part number but this might be a custom transformer in which case you won't be able to buy one on the open market and will have to source one from the equipment manufacturer.

The noise you are hearing might be perfectly normal for this type of supply. See p8 of the Power Integrations TNY254 datasheet for a description of this phenomenon.

Offline orbitalframe7Topic starter

Re: Coil Whine in an audio preprocessor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 01:07:21 am »
Got it, thanks for the information.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf