Author Topic: Comments on these Soldering and hot air stations ?  (Read 2705 times)

Offline cryptonTopic starter

• Contributor
Comments on these Soldering and hot air stations ?
« on: March 25, 2018, 06:26:40 pm »
Hello!

I'm considering to get a soldering station with and/or hot air gun station for home lab / hobby usage. I currently have none of those.
I have found some units that are sold here locally but I have failed to find any reviews on some particular machines. Perhaps any of you here can shine a light on them? (haven't found topics for them either).

In essence I would like to have two irons and a heat gun - a main iron and a secondary iron, which I don't expect to be excellent but as a companion for the main one.
So some 2in1 units might come into light. Although most seem bulky and I would appreciate some portability btw gun and iron.

One 2in1 unit which is offered here locally is Zhondi ZD-8922. Any impressions on this? Seems pretty small form factor, and it's iron could work well as a secondary. Also it seems to have a built in (diaphragm) air pump - which supposedly is great !?

Or are there better ones? I've seen Atten 8586 or similar, but can't find them locally :/. A bit afraid to buy from the internet due to shitty build quality that I've read in this forum (fixable, but still).
//EDIT: I've now found an upgrade to this YIHUA 995D+, which seems pretty good!

My alternative hot air gun pick would be "Pro Kit" or in my case RS rebranded version of SS-969B. which is 110€. I've seen some decent reviews on similar units (wise to check their construction before using). Without knowing what the Zhondi actually is... visually it seems about the same quality and usability, just no iron.

For the main iron, there's no much issue, other than that I must make up my mind:
I've had experience with Wellers, especially WSD 81i model, which has been quite decent (the tip has survived years of quite bad abuse still looks shiny. Although I have read the tips are fast to wear off).
Found locally, there is Weller WT 1 , again not much reviews on this..
I really liked Hakko FX-951 which have really cool irons (color coded switchable tips, great!). But I don't fancy the UI at all  :--. But then again I don't think I will tinker with the temperature too often for this to become an issue... so perhaps lower cost 888D would do as well... I've read that accessories for these are easier to get.

But I don't have any clue about finding tips or how expensive they are for each model... - research from this point starts to drive me crazy :P.

//EDIT:
Btw, decided to link here an awesome topic, covering all sorts of equipment:
=https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/(tip)-best-budgetcheap-soldering-stations-and-tools/msg1324255/#msg1324255(tip)-best-budgetcheap-soldering-stations-and-tools

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:21:14 pm by crypton »

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
Re: Comments on these Soldering and hot air stations ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 06:44:49 pm »
I never had a ZD-8922 in my hands, but I've used many Ningbo-Zhondi products, and they are rally honest.
The price is cheap, and the quality is in the the lower mid-range, but I must admit that they work, as supposed.
The ZD-8922' air pump seems internal to the station, not a cheap fan in the handle like the RS's one.
RS-PRO previous line of solder stations were, in effect, rebranded Ningbo-Zhondi.
Current line seeems of mixed origins, some are ATTEN.
Best regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 09:41:54 pm »
I nave an FX-951.  I next to never change the temperature.  I stay at 650F and can solder basically anything.  What little it can't do, the Metcal MX-500 handles with ease.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline cryptonTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 01:15:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

I've now been shown that there's a newer model YIHUA 995D+ that seems really awesome for its price. Sleep modes, nice interface and experience from using 898D it doesn't seem like a bad option. Although the iron on 898D was a bit weak.
In any case, seems that the newr model of YIHUA has more functions anyway than the Zhondi. So I would go for that.

2)
Although Zhongdi does seem to have a diaphram pump inside the unit.
I've read (can't seemt o find the topic) that these types of hot air pumps are better than the one YIHUA 995D+ has (in the handle)? Although from 898D experience I can't complain.
Impressions on that side?
EDIT:
Some thoughts are found here.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:49:57 pm by crypton »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf