Author Topic: Comparing GM328A GM328B Transistor Testers  (Read 3589 times)

Offline KarnatheTopic starter

Comparing GM328A GM328B Transistor Testers
« on: September 18, 2020, 09:31:37 pm »
Hello all,

This question has absolutely been asked before, but I could not find it using search and wanted a "fresh perspective" since things might have changed.

I am looking to buy one of the cheapo transistor testers. However, I want one with the encoder input and the function generator.
A normal example would be this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001178390170.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.69a32e0ehIVCCj
This fulfills everything I need, with the consideration that it is coming from china and as such may not arrive for quite some time. I have heard that some of these have dodgy 5v regulator chips, and come with wildly varying firmware versions. If this comes with an old version, what am I missing? Can I update it myself?
Does anyone have a recommended store, either from china or closer to home (located US)? Lastly, does anyone have a 3D printed case for these? My previous one has had the screen connector come off the lcd (any way to fix btw?) and I would rather that not happen again.

P.S I am buying this because it seems like a good option for me as a student / hobbyist. If there are other products / projects to make / buy something like this, I'd love to hear them!

Thank you!

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: Comparing GM328A GM328B Transistor Testers
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 10:18:48 pm »
That one will probably work for you, but I prefer a through-hole kit like this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808555770.html

They are more amenable to being fixed / modified in case you need to replace something or reprogram the firmware. The features one of these testers has is all determined by the firmware.

The main thread for discussing these devices is here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:20:29 pm by ledtester »

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 12:51:52 am »
P.S I am buying this because it seems like a good option for me as a student / hobbyist. If there are other products / projects to make / buy something like this, I'd love to hear them!

Two inexpensive items come to mind:

- a "PWM module" like these:

1069502-0

PWM signals feature prominently in today's electronics, and these modules are a convenient way to produce them. Some of them have serial I/O so you can control them via a computer.

- a SMD 7-decade resistor board:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000073139731.html

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 02:06:29 pm »
hi,
build yourself from scrap some transistor tester/s.that project is just a toy.
you'll learn more electronics by building one, analog or digital type.
buying  the gm328 will only get you testing some transistors unable to be sure of the showed result and you'll discover day by day bug after bug in that 328 firmware and his limitations.it's not able for example capable to tell you "yes this triac is good", with a 10$ multimeter you can decide the triac status...all you got is some explaining why it's not working, the test current isn't capable opening the g-cathode junction bla bla bla.
I have a bjt which isn't detected as bjt since 8 firmware revisions with the gm328, I'll keep it just for reminding me how stupid I was throwing 20 bucks on a toy.
a simple analog bjt transistor tester takes 30 mins to build with some findings in your drawer, some hfe tester a little more hardware and the same 30 mins, except the documenting.
if you want the device, just buy a real used tester.
maybe I'm a bit too critical, but that's the latins :)
regards,pierre

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf