Electronics > Beginners

Complementary transistors substitutions (2SC1382 & 2SA682) - Edited

(1/1)

michalism:
Hi,

I'm working on an old JVC amplifier, and I want to change two pairs of the old transistors it has. The old models are 2SC1382 and 2SC682.
Models BD139/ BD140 seem to be the closest replacements, but I have also seen on another forum that MJE182/ MJE253 can also be used.
I checked the data sheets and with a little help from ChatCPT, I made a table with the main characteristics of each model. I've attached the file, here's also a picture (can't copy the table correctly...:()

I am under the impression the the MJE series is more common in audio amplifiers than the BD series. is this correct?
Is there a particular reason to prefer on type from the other?
Please note that the transistors I'm replacing are used to drive the final stage power transistors( 2SC1030 and 2SA757)

Thank you!
Michalis

BillyO:
As long as the current capability, operating voltage and gain are the same (or a bit better) you can certainly safely give them a try.  Whether or not they end up sounding as good or not .. well, as they say the proof of the pie is in the eating.

Try them.

MathWizard:
IDK many BJT's, but I've been using TIP31/41 (32/42) series as my main power transistors. The TIP41C is similar to one you mentioned, maybe a bit lower VCE max. They are fairly cheap, they seem fine to me. But for audio, yeah nevermind, IDK.

https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/tip41c-d.pdf

2SC1030 equiv's
https://alltransistors.com/transistor.php?transistor=11332

rfengg:

--- Quote from: michalism on March 28, 2023, 01:45:41 pm ---Hi,

I'm working on an old JVC amplifier, and I want to change two pairs of the old transistors it has. The old models are 2SC1382 and 2SC682.
Models BD139/ BD140 seem to be the closest replacements, but I have also seen on another forum that MJE182/ MJE253 can also be used.
I checked the data sheets and with a little help from ChatCPT, I made a table with the main characteristics of each model. I've attached the file, here's also a picture (can't copy the table correctly...:()

I am under the impression the the MJE series is more common in audio amplifiers than the BD series. is this correct?
Is there a particular reason to prefer on type from the other?
Please note that the transistors I'm replacing are used to drive the final stage power transistors( 2SC1030 and 2SA757)

Thank you!
Michalis

--- End quote ---

You have mixed up part numbers in your Excel sheet......there is no way a 2SC682 will handle 1.5A as shown in your Excel sheet and also, afaik the 2SC682 is an NPN , not a PNP as shown in your Excel sheet.

michalism:
A great example of human laziness and AI failure!
The table I attached is created by ChatGPT, because I was too lazy to do it myself.  :-[
Apparently, the data used by the AI model is not accurate, and I should have checked better.

Also, another typo I made: the correct transistor type I want to swap is 2SC1382 and 2SA682. Apologies for all the confusion!! I corrected the title as well...

Anyway, I think I'll use BD139 & BD140 to replace 2SC1382 & 2SA682. They are the easiest to find in my area.

Digging a little further on my own I found that BD790,BD792 or KSE172 can also be used instead.
Is there any particular reason why I should chose a particular series over another?

Thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version