Electronics > Beginners

Component Manufacturers

(1/1)

sdscotto:
Being new to precision components, and after watching Dave's latest (#133), I had some questions.

Is there a consensus among those of you with years of experience, as to manufacturers who consistently make better components and/or better quality control?  Is it always a crap shoot or are their good guys and bad guys amongst the major players?

I looked at Mouser for SMD 0805 10 OHM .1% resistors and see that Bourns, Vishay and IRC all have the same specifications.  Is one better than the other?

Just curious and hoping to learn.

scotto

Psi:
For general ~0805 stuff (resistors/caps)  i just pic the one that's the best price and has a large quantity stocked :)
I'm not saying that's a good thing to do, it's just what i do :P

But yeah, for precision components ya really do need to have a closer look. The quallity of the datasheet can give a reasonable idea as to the quallity of the component.

Simon:
As a quality inspector myself I can tell you that unfortunately errors do happen, it is impossible to check everything 100% so normally regular spot checks are carried out, unfortunately stuff can slip, the hope is the manufacturer will keep and extra eye on the parts in question and will try to establish what went wrong and prevent it from happening again.

saturation:
Top manufacturers are still in business because they make quality and quantity.  There are usually many who survive the market, as when one guy runs out of stock, the other isn't, and the game goes on and on.

The most vital issue is buy from a reputable dealer and distributor, because via supply chain accounting, parts can be traced to the true manufacturer, versus not reputable sources which may provide counterfeit or sell reject parts as new.  That's the difference when you pay a slight premium buying from Digikey over an unknown at say, eBay.

The more precision or complex a part is, the more likely you want it reputable.  Knobs, hookup wire, tape, and kit boxes?  You can buy anywhere.  Precision resistor networks and semiconductors, buy reputable.

Junk parts are a different issue.

--- Quote from: sdscotto on December 14, 2010, 04:45:34 am ---Being new to precision components, and after watching Dave's latest (#133), I had some questions.

Is there a consensus among those of you with years of experience, as to manufacturers who consistently make better components and/or better quality control?  Is it always a crap shoot or are their good guys and bad guys amongst the major players?

I looked at Mouser for SMD 0805 10 OHM .1% resistors and see that Bourns, Vishay and IRC all have the same specifications.  Is one better than the other?

Just curious and hoping to learn.

scotto

--- End quote ---

Joy at MCS:
There is a different difference in quality. It's a good idea to check the material that is used for making the components. 

Some companies will send out free samples for you to look at before you buy.  It never hurts to ask.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version