Author Topic: Component Organization  (Read 9114 times)

Offline joegtpTopic starter

• Contributor
Component Organization
« on: August 05, 2010, 02:09:14 pm »
I'm starting to amass quite a bit of components. I found these http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&pa=100256&productId=100256&cid=PDF%09CAT%09169 but I probably have 50 different resistor values alone. What are your thoughts on organizing it all? Does anyone have good storage options?

I'm also having problems keeping track of what I already have. Do you generally use software to track all the things you have?

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Component Organization
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:53:14 pm »
I prefer using SMT components, so I got hold of a bunch of design kits from this company:

http://designeasy.en.alibaba.com/product/282823155-209762218/0805_smd_resistor_sample_book_resistor_0805_177_values_X_48pcs_smt_pack_box_book_kit.html

They sell the books with components (which are good value for money), but if you already have lots of parts they'll sell you an empty book for only a couple of dollars, which you can fill with parts and label to your heart's content.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:03:58 pm »
I tend to keep my SMD passives in ziplock bags, it is amazing how little space a couple of thousand SMDs take up, even the biggish ones. I keep the resistors and ceramic caps in generic grey wall mounting drawers in sections, e.g. 0-10R, 10-100R, 100R-270R etc. No reason you couldn't put the bags in those plastic boxes though.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 06:19:44 pm »
I store most components in fishing bit boxes.

I have over 144 different resistor (all E24 values from 10R to 1M, E12 values from 1R to 10R and 1M and 10M and other assorted values) which are stored in two cases, each filled with tubes containing different resistor values.

Offline seanmatthew22

• MMRambotics
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 04:14:10 am »
I have my parts stored in the drawer cabinets and then a spreadsheet that has a entry that correspond to a drawer and what whats is in it with a link the datasheet, i find this makes things really easy instead of having to search to see if i have a part it.

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 08:15:27 am »
For most small components I use resealable bags of various sizes and these are kept in multi-compartment trays. Larger stuff is kept in storage crates. All trays and crates have ID numbers. I have written a comprehensive web-based system that includes parts and components, BOMs, assemblies, variants, built product and fault tracking (runs in a LAMP server). The component locations are included as part of the component stock entry where appropriate. Very useful and simple to use.
Was it really supposed to do that?

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 09:41:41 am »
well put then in value series like 1-10-100-1K-10K-100K then it gets down to a few draws

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 10:26:30 am »
Here's a picture of my resistor cases.

As you can see,there's one for all values of 3k3 and below and one for 3k6 and above.

There's one tube for each value, apart from 1R to 8.2R and 1.2M to 10M which only have E12 values and are sorted as 1R to 1R5, 1R8 to 2R7, 3R3 to 4R7 and 5R6 to 8R6 and 1M2 to 1M8, 2M2 to 3M3, 3M9 to 5M6, and 6M8 to 10M respectivelt. Then there's >10M which is is empty at the moment, as I don't have any resistors in >10M and <1R which is quite full. The short fat tube at the bottom right is filled with miscellaneous resistor values.

I'd strongly recommend adopting a system like this. Plastic bags are find but keeping them in order can be a pain, having a couple of cases like this has the advantage of being portable.

I don't have anything like this for capacitors but I don't think it's so important, as there's not such a great range of values and the cases are totally different, but it's probably worthwhile, if you havea range of SMP capacitors.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:33:41 am »
thats a good arrangement, I just keep mine in their series in plastic draws at the moment but I've actually filled the whole thing up alrerady, guess i need more than one so one can be resistor and caps and the other the other parts

Offline easilyconfused

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 09:45:26 pm »
I'm a retired respiratory therapist. I used to give people inhaled morphine for pain. The morphine came in little plastic tubes. If you know a nurse you might be able to get them to save them for you. I built myself a CNC a few years back. I used it to machine out some Styrofoam trays for the tubes that now hold resistors. I found these plastic drawer modules at Wal-Mart for about $11 each ($33). I also put small caps in the tubes. In another drawer I have some Styrofoam trays machined for pill boxes. I use those for ICs and LEDs.

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 01:45:35 pm »
I prefer using SMT components, so I got hold of a bunch of design kits from this company:

http://designeasy.en.alibaba.com/product/282823155-209762218/0805_smd_resistor_sample_book_resistor_0805_177_values_X_48pcs_smt_pack_box_book_kit.html

They sell the books with components (which are good value for money), but if you already have lots of parts they'll sell you an empty book for only a couple of dollars, which you can fill with parts and label to your heart's content.

if you don't mind, how much was your book from designeasy? i've never used that alibaba site... are all of the vendors trustworthy?

is this the same book? 0805 SMT Resistor sample book

cheers!
-SJ

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 02:50:26 pm »
I've no idea.

It looks like it'll cover most of your resistor requirements but I'd be tempted to spend a little more and go with 1% tolerance.

I had a look on ebay but could only find through hole resistors.

A 25 x 10R to 1M, E24, 1% 1/4W resistor kit will cost £30,plus postage, it comes in two parts: the E12 values and the inbetween E24 values:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR25-Metal-Film-Resistor-Kit-1-1-4-w-E24-E12-Values-/120611828120?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item1c15067198
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR25-Metal-Film-Resistor-Kit-1-1-4-w-E24-Top-Quality-/120557425165?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item1c11c8520d

If I didn't already have a huge stash of resistors, I'd be tempted to buy two E12 kits and one set of the inbetween values.

alm

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 03:02:50 pm »
Just make sure that they are really 1% metal film. Some Chinese vendors sell 5% carbon film resistors marked as 1% metal film (with correct color and bands). The easiest way to verify is the temperature coefficient, carbon film has a much higher (and negative) tempco compared to metal film.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 01:01:59 am »
if you don't mind, how much was your book from designeasy? i've never used that alibaba site... are all of the vendors trustworthy?

You can see prices on their Aliexpress site: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/802984

However, if you can read Chinese or use Google Translate effectively, try their Taobao store: http://store.taobao.com/shop/view_shop-c48e0a346d871c3934204f0a6241fea3.htm . It's targeted to the domestic Chinese market so the prices are considerably cheaper. I used http://buyfromtaobao.com/ as an intermediary service (mostly because I couldn't read Chinese). Shipping was pretty reasonable both times through the standard China post rather than a courier.

I dealt with the Design Easy rep several times and they were excellent. As for the rest of Alibaba, I've heard anecdotally that there are a lot of fakes and knock-offs, as you might expect. So it's not really any different to eBay :) I think they do have a feedback system, for what it's worth.

is this the same book? 0805 SMT Resistor sample book

Yep, it looks identical to the ones I have. But now compare the prices:

iTead - USD 60
Aliexpress - USD 42
Taobao - USD 13

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:54:12 am by joelby »

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 05:14:50 am »
thanx joelby! great information!

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 12:25:04 pm »
The Taobao option does look good, I wonder what the shipping cost to the UK is?

I'm surprised no ones reselling them on ebay with a decent margin, it looks like a licence to print money. :D

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 12:54:17 pm »
I can't quite remember, but check the shipping costs on BuyFromTaoBao at http://buyfromtaobao.com/Rate.aspx . I bought three books of components and two empty books, and apparently it weighed 5 lbs, so according to that I would have paid USD 55, which sounds about right (I remember thinking it was a bit steep!)

Other Taobao intermediaries might allow cheaper postage options such as China Post, but then again they might only allow trackable parcels to avoid mail delivery disputes. In the end I was happy because they've been a great resource and the prices for design kits from RS/Farnell are mind boggling.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf