Author Topic: Connecting two computers with USB (USB - USB)  (Read 10976 times)

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Connecting two computers with USB (USB - USB)
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 03:48:50 am »
Many 10/100 nics do autosense. Controllers that didn't support it started vanishing around 2000/2001.

Sure, it's possible you'll still find one in use. But most people won't. There's certainly no reason to run out and buy one before trying a regular cable you probably have lying around.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 03:51:42 am »
Many 10/100 nics do autosense. Controllers that didn't support it started vanishing around 2000/2001.

Sure, it's possible you'll still find one in use. But most people won't. There's certainly no reason to run out and buy one before trying a regular cable you probably have lying around.

The 8139 is still doing the rounds, never has supported Auto-MDI/MDIX.

But I agree, always try first.. usually one end will end up supporting it. Just hope you don't run into those odd configurations where a link just won't be established between two gigabit NICs.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 12:04:16 pm »
I can't remember exactly which one it is (it's the one with simpler hardware) but either UHCI or OHCI will let you interact with the hardware non-standardly to enable communication via a direct cable connection. Of course this requires the appropriate driver software, which is going to be difficult to implement unless you're writing your own OS.

Offline redben

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 09:20:26 am »
The way to go is to use a simple USB Hub.
Inside those devices there are some logic chip which transfers the datas correctly.

Ti is basically the same as plugin two computer with an ethernet cable together.
You have to use a crossover ethernet cable OR an hub which will do that automatically.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 01:59:41 pm »
The way to go is to use a simple USB Hub.

No, that won't work.

Offline mtbolhaTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 07:32:16 am »
Hehe, thanks guys for explaining, did not expect this much of replys. I'm a beginer so I experiment things.. Maybe I get lucky and invent some hack that all of you think its imposible :P

PC is smart, it can be programed for many things, I know now that its imposible to do what I wanted but I think this should be possible, printers, mouses and other slave devices have slave usb receiver/transmiter, PC has a master usb receiver/transmiter I get it now. Master has to be connected with Slave in order to work.

For this purpose is best to use LAN if you want to trasfer files, just to let know if someone reads this post in future.

I have connected 2 computers over normal LAN cable, everything detected automaticly (as both computers was allready registred to same workgroup in windows) and just went to my network places, and took all the files I've needed from one computer to another.

So best PC-PC connection for me is direct cable LAN

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 07:37:31 am »
So best PC-PC connection for me is direct cable LAN

For cheap, reliable and pretty fast (assuming you're using GB NIC), currently there is nothing beats LAN cable transfer for casual computer user at home.

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:25 am »
For cheap, reliable and pretty fast (assuming you're using GB NIC), currently there is nothing beats LAN cable transfer for casual computer user at home.

What is a GB NIC?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:43:27 am by mtbolha »

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2013, 07:42:29 am »
Yep. There is always the Belkin Easy Transfer Cable for simple Windows transfers, but otherwise just go with LAN transfers.

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 07:44:28 am »
What is a GB NIC?

A gigabit (1.0 gbps) network interface controller, aka a 1.0 gigabit (or 1000 megabit / 1000 mbps) ethernet network port.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:46:34 am by tsmith35 »

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 08:39:06 am »
What is a GB NIC?

A gigabit (1.0 gbps) network interface controller, aka a 1.0 gigabit (or 1000 megabit / 1000 mbps) ethernet network port.

Thanks

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2013, 08:46:19 am »
Maybe I get lucky and invent some hack that all of you think its imposible :P

PCs always operate in master mode, they do not identify themselves with a USB device ID. That part is at the hardware level.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2013, 10:56:52 am »
Maybe I get lucky and invent some hack that all of you think its imposible :P

PCs always operate in master mode, they do not identify themselves with a USB device ID. That part is at the hardware level.
Some can be programmed to act like a slave; I've read about it being done long ago.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf