Author Topic: Connector for resistive touch screen flat flex  (Read 2257 times)

Offline obiwanjacobiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • What's this yippee-yayoh pin you talk about!?
    • Marctronix Blog
Connector for resistive touch screen flat flex
« on: July 03, 2015, 12:00:21 pm »
I bought a small touch screen for a DIY project. Its connections are provided with a 4 pole flat flex. I would like to get a connector for that but I am unsure what the dimensions are (I measure about 0.8 mm between 'pins' ?) or what specific connector to get. I don't think it can handle a lot of insertion force...

Extra info: I will settle for a PCB mounted connector but I would prefer one that can be extended with wires (flat cable or other).

By the looks of it other touch displays come with the same flat flex strip and would require similar connectors. I hope some of you know what I need.

Thanx.
Marc

In addition any tips and tricks you can provide for working with a resistive touch screen would be most welcome. It will be used as a touch pad without a display mounted on a guitar's scratch plate (strat-type). I was planning on feeding it into a small AVR MCU to output MIDI control messages.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:02:57 pm by obiwanjacobi »
Arduino Template Library | Zalt Z80 Computer
Wrong code should not compile!

Offline jdraughn

• Regular Contributor
Re: Connector for resistive touch screen flat flex
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:34:45 pm »
If you can find an old palm pilot or other little device from a second hand/thrift store, you can cheat and use that one if you don't want to wait for delivery.

Offline obiwanjacobiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • What's this yippee-yayoh pin you talk about!?
    • Marctronix Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 07:20:50 am »
Sorry for the bump, but I really was hoping somebody out there could help me with the name (and spacing) of such a connector without too much effort...

Any info is very much appreciated.
Thanx.
Arduino Template Library | Zalt Z80 Computer
Wrong code should not compile!

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 11:59:47 am »
Look for board-to-FFC connectors with the same pitch as your cable.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 04:45:24 pm »
In addition any tips and tricks you can provide for working with a resistive touch screen would be most welcome. It will be used as a touch pad without a display mounted on a guitar's scratch plate (strat-type). I was planning on feeding it into a small AVR MCU to output MIDI control messages.

The boards I have don't have a BOM so I don't know what connector they use, but you'll need a touch controller like one of these:

AD7843:

XPT2046:

Pretty much the 4 wires you have there connect to the X+,X-,Y+ & Y-  (on the XPT2046 referred as XP, XN, YP & YN)

If you need help looking for the datasheets, let me know.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:47:24 pm by miguelvp »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf