Author Topic: Connectors for connecting PCBs side to side in a long chain  (Read 473 times)

Offline John CeloTopic starter

• Contributor
Connectors for connecting PCBs side to side in a long chain
« on: March 24, 2024, 01:03:50 am »
I'd like to connect together bunch of PCBs side to side (NOT orthogonally like you'd insert peripherals in a PC motherboard), what are some good connectors for that?

There are standard 90degree bent single row 2.54mm pin headers. And those would work well enough if only there were opposite 90 degree bent female 2.54mm connectors, but I haven't seen those anywhere? (atleast not on AE)
(edit: found it on AE, they are just not as ubiquitous as the other type)

Can anyone recommend good solutions for this? (8pins for each connection would work just fine).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 01:07:51 am by John Celo »

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
Re: Connectors for connecting PCBs side to side in a long chain
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 02:37:42 am »
Something like this maybe? 8 Position Header Connector

The following users thanked this post: John Celo

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 03:02:46 am »
You can solder vertical through-hole headers on to the sides of a 1.6mm pcb using SMT pads by pushing the PCB in between the two rows.

Ideally you want a header with the right thickness pins so 2.54mm becomes 1.6mm clearance and have it slide on with some friction so you can solder it easily.

Not really good for production but it is cheap and easy and lowish profile.

If you go this route consider what will happen if you connect it backwards and select which pin is which so nothing is damaged.
There is also risk of connect it up 1 pin off-set etc..
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:06:39 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: John Celo

Offline John CeloTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 03:24:44 am »
Yes, thank you, the right keyword to find these on Ali was "right angle", I was typing in things like "bent" and "90 degrees". And nothing came up.

That's a very interesting idea Psi, it does leave a gap between the connected PCBs, but that's definitely very creative!

On a tangentially related question, what's the right keyword for a solid-core ribbon cable (the usual ribbon cables are 1.27mm pitch multistrand ones, the ones with IDC connectors), but these are usually with slightly bigger pitch seems like 1.8mm and hard solid core?

I've seen these used as soldered through hole connections to connect PCB/buses for some consumer electronics products (stranded ones are too brittle and hard to work with for this purpose)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:28:24 am by John Celo »

Offline Irilia

• Contributor
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 03:47:04 am »
I'm curious if this type of connector can help, way more sturdy

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 11:40:18 am »
That's a very interesting idea Psi, it does leave a gap between the connected PCBs, but that's definitely very creative!

You could fix that by having the pcb shape routed inwards in that area to account for the plastic part of the header.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 12:41:53 pm »
Avx make some back to back femsle edge connectors for linking LED strips, only up to about 5 or 6 way I think.
There are a few other products aimed at LED lighting for this.

Something I've done a couple of times is used female right angled pin header receptacles, and insert a very long pin header through the back of one to link them. A benefit of this is you can remove a pcb from the middle if a chain without dismounting neighbouring boards
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: quince

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 03:28:11 pm »
On a tangentially related question, what's the right keyword for a solid-core ribbon cable (the usual ribbon cables are 1.27mm pitch multistrand ones, the ones with IDC connectors), but these are usually with slightly bigger pitch seems like 1.8mm and hard solid core?

I've seen these used as soldered through hole connections to connect PCB/buses for some consumer electronics products (stranded ones are too brittle and hard to work with for this purpose)

It's called  Round Conductor Flat Cable, Solid Core Flat Ribbon Cable which has a 0.025" (0.64mm) pitch also know as Cable Ribbon, Cbl Ribbon or Cbl Ribn
I've heard some call it CBL cable, but that's to broad of a term to use and inaccurate because CBL is short for Cable.
Another term is Ultra ATA Ribbon Cable, but that is usually stranded.   

Offline MarkT

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 06:56:15 pm »
This style of pin header is available in 1 row or 2 rows, male and female:
https://uk.farnell.com/samtec/tsm-106-01-l-sh-a/pin-header-6pos-1row-2-54mm-smt/dp/3689118

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf