Author Topic: Contest for Beginners  (Read 23461 times)

Offline yami759

• Contributor
Re: Contest for Beginners
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2017, 12:49:24 am »
The scope came in today! Quick delivery and good packaging. I was so excited to start playing experimenting with this scope, so of course I used the square wave generated by the scope, and was so happy when I saw it! In addition to that, I decided to try it with a "signal generator" consisting of an audio plug connected to my PC and using an online tone generator. With this I made a simple sine wave and, with some experimenting and learning how to use the scope, I was able to get both to display with each other. Obviously, I have much more practical use for this to come, but I just wanted to mess around with it as I'm learning my way around the scope.

The only oddity is that it is missing a ground lead on one of the probes. Obviously, I am totally fine with this, and I don't mean to be complaining. I'm still beyond overjoyed with this scope, and am incredibly grateful for it. Just thought that I'd note everything about it. Once again, thank you so much to those who organized this contest, and especially to dson!

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2017, 02:58:13 am »
Wow, that was fast. Good to see you've got it up and running. Maybe drop bson a message to see if he has the ground lead lying around somewhere. Otherwise, 100 MHz probe kits (P6100) that are similar to the Rigol are available inexpensively (less than $10 for a pair) on eBay and Aliexpress. There are threads about them on the forum. Never hurts to have some extras.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:04:33 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline baeckel

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2017, 03:21:59 am »
Congratulations Yami!  Looks like I became a Noob just a hair too late.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2017, 08:45:42 pm »
Oops, I had to dig around to find all the probe bits, and I'm sure the ground lead will turn up.  When it does I'll put it in an envelope and send to you.

Edit: I think it found its way onto a LeCroy PP020 and since this is the odd one at 4.75" (120mm) I'll mail it to you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:07:26 pm by bson »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline yami759

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2017, 09:53:17 pm »
You're too kind

Offline Octane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2017, 10:00:40 pm »
Congrats to the winners!!
Thanks to all the competitors!

And even bigger thanks to the organizers and prize donors!

Michael
W4MFT

Offline Mattjd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2017, 07:12:39 pm »
The scope came in today! Quick delivery and good packaging. I was so excited to start playing experimenting with this scope, so of course I used the square wave generated by the scope, and was so happy when I saw it! In addition to that, I decided to try it with a "signal generator" consisting of an audio plug connected to my PC and using an online tone generator. With this I made a simple sine wave and, with some experimenting and learning how to use the scope, I was able to get both to display with each other. Obviously, I have much more practical use for this to come, but I just wanted to mess around with it as I'm learning my way around the scope.

The only oddity is that it is missing a ground lead on one of the probes. Obviously, I am totally fine with this, and I don't mean to be complaining. I'm still beyond overjoyed with this scope, and am incredibly grateful for it. Just thought that I'd note everything about it. Once again, thank you so much to those who organized this contest, and especially to dson!

God man, its so pretty, congrats again. And congrats to the other winners (I think I forgot you the first time).

Offline xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2017, 12:28:30 am »
Well I know at least one of my shipments was left at a front door ...  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Seaofdep

• Regular Contributor
  • leaning as i go
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2017, 12:30:58 am »
I have been at my front door all day lol

Offline jiro

• Contributor
  • We are slaves of our own freedom
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2017, 12:32:49 am »
Congrats yami759 as usual I was late to the party  |O

Enjoy your new toy tool

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2017, 12:33:47 am »

Somebody snuck up and stole it!

LOL - no it was the other guy, yours is 'posed to arrive today too though. Keep a watch on that door!

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Seaofdep

• Regular Contributor
  • leaning as i go
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2017, 12:38:23 am »
Last update

Somebody snuck up and stole it!

LOL - no it was the other guy, yours is 'posed to arrive today too though. Keep a watch on that door!

i would go on  the  hunt  for my package if someone took it lol... Last update was on the 10th but yea i will be at the front door till last call lol

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2017, 12:41:22 am »
Last update was on the 10th but yea i will be at the front door till last call lol

UPS tracking is not working correctly. Yesterday it showed more tracking than it does now - for both shipments. Remain calm.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Seaofdep

Offline Seaofdep

• Regular Contributor
  • leaning as i go
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2017, 04:40:20 am »
Nothing today, ill be sure to be by  the  door tomorrow,  Just  an update for everyone . Thank you

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2017, 11:02:07 am »
Nothing today, ill be sure to be by  the  door tomorrow,  Just  an update for everyone . Thank you

Yea something is wrong ... will have to call UPS and have them explain what the hell we're looking at on the tracking. It probably fell off the truck.  :rant:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2017, 01:48:39 pm »
It's lost.  >:(

Called UPS and the first thing the guy said after he ran the tracking number was "It's lost sir". He said packages were updated every 24 hours, and it hadn't been updated since the 10th. I have to get the info I requested in the PM I sent you, and go to the UPS store and let them take it from there. What are you going to do these days. I don't trust the USPS that much either, so I use UPS and this happens.

Always remember, and never forget, this time-honored phrase -

"No good deed ever goes unpunished"

Offline Chris_77

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2017, 06:59:15 pm »
To partially-close the loop with the thread: I received a large and heavy box yesterday. As I live on the Sun this time of year, I made certain to grab it as soon as it came in.

I have a few "teaser" images to post here; I've been designing in KiCAD for a couple days and reading more ("oh ... I'll need a separate analog ground-plane? Well then...") so will breadboard and post some images of the equipment in use very soon.

Another recent addition not shown here: the Pie Tin of Soldering. ;)

:-DMM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2017, 07:07:02 pm »
I have a few "teaser" images to post here; I've been designing in KiCAD for a couple days and reading more ("oh ... I'll need a separate analog ground-plane? Well then...") so will breadboard and post some images of the equipment in use very soon.

Awesome - at least yours made it.

But good news - a replacement prize for Seaofdep has been offered by another member! I will mention who if they wish. All's well that ends well!  :-+

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2017, 09:32:31 pm »

Looking good, Chris. I can't wait to see/hear more about your flight sim projects. I haven't flown much after FSX was shuttered.

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2017, 09:56:03 pm »
... But good news - a replacement prize for Seaofdep has been offered by another member! I will mention who if they wish. All's well that ends well!  :-+
I'll get this out to Seaofdep early next week as a replacement for the lost prize.  An ANENG 8001, a Klein MM2000, a nice pair of Agilent leads and a thermocouple.  There may be room in the box for a few other odds and ends too...

The following users thanked this post: tautech, bitseeker, Seaofdep

Offline Seaofdep

• Regular Contributor
  • leaning as i go
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2017, 10:01:37 pm »
... But good news - a replacement prize for Seaofdep has been offered by another member! I will mention who if they wish. All's well that ends well!  :-+
I'll get this out to Seaofdep early next week as a replacement for the lost prize.  An ANENG 8001, a Klein MM2000, a nice pair of Agilent leads and a thermocouple.  There may be room in the box for a few other odds and ends too...
Thank you, words cant describe how grateful i am and how much i appreciate this, I am truly lost for words. Thank you all so much

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2017, 10:07:38 pm »
Thank you ModemHead! Seaofdep gets an even better prize and I got his phone number so I can have them do their investigation and get my money back from Uncertain Parcel Service.  :-+

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2017, 11:02:17 pm »

Thanks, ModemHead! That is awesome. Not only did you redeem the lost prize, you multiplied it. And I already thought your restorations were amazing.  :-DMM

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2017, 03:48:00 pm »
Thanks to xrunner and the rest of you guys for organizing and running the contest.  It's a great thing to do.  :-+

The new prize package is on its way to Seaofdep via USPS Priority Mail, expected delivery is Wednesday.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Seaofdep

Offline Chris_77

• Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2017, 02:27:55 am »

Looking good, Chris. I can't wait to see/hear more about your flight sim projects. I haven't flown much after FSX was shuttered.

I can't wait to do more "head's-down" hardware work on this either! Another slightly more concrete image: I used the Arduino Nano v3 that you threw into the box to flash my first Arduino bootloader over to a "raw" ATMega328P-PU chip! I was then able to use a super-cheap CH340G-based USB-to-Serial setup to flash some code over to the chip. More actual images will come as I become smarter than the counter--I'm trying to figure out how it works--and as I find a mechanism (banana-plug to grabber?) to hold leads onto the circuit while taking a picture. ;)

For now, please accept this image with my gratitude (it shows the "blink" sketch working on the 328P-PU chip, and another 328P-PU loaded up to receive the Arduino bootloader):
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:35:03 am by Chris_77 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf