Electronics > Beginners

Copy PIC soldered on board?

(1/5) > >>

dds:
Hi,

Is it possible to copy firmware from PIC (say PIC16F873A) which is already soldered on the board, if yes how? Just curious :)

Thanks.

dimlow:
I was going to answer this, then i thought, but what if dds was going to copy my work? Would i be happy with this ? So i didnt

migsantiago:

--- Quote from: dds on October 18, 2010, 01:45:35 pm ---Hi,

Is it possible to copy firmware from PIC (say PIC16F873A) which is already soldered on the board, if yes how? Just curious :)

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

You have to unsolder it if there are no visible ICSP pins.

And the people who wrote the code for that PIC might have copy-protected it. So... it's a long shot.

Mechatrommer:

--- Quote from: migsantiago on October 18, 2010, 02:22:15 pm ---You have to unsolder it if there are no visible ICSP pins.
And the people who wrote the code for that PIC might have copy-protected it. So... it's a long shot.

--- End quote ---
you can possibly tap the ICSP pins, but only if the circuit allows it and designed accordingly. but if its copy protected, then you'll have to use x-ray machine that nobody here could possibly afford it.

alm:

--- Quote from: shafri on October 18, 2010, 04:55:42 pm ---you can possibly tap the ICSP pins, but only if the circuit allows it and designed accordingly. but if its copy protected, then you'll have to use x-ray machine that nobody here could possibly afford it.

--- End quote ---
Or you can pay some company to etch open the IC and disable the protection fuses for (a little over) a few bucks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version