Author Topic: Cord work  (Read 5104 times)

Offline fixit7Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Cord work
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 01:24:07 am »
You seem to have poor understanding of what the earth wire is for. You really shouldn't be playing with this stuff. 

But anyway, in simple terms, the sole and entire purpose of the green wire is to connect the Earth pin of your power socket to any exposed metal part you can touch on the tool.

Your other thread seems to show that is exactly what it was and should be doing.

I do not agree with your opinion that "I should not be playing with this stuff."

I had my grinder repaired at least 15 years ago.

When the original switch failed, I ran the wiring to a Leviton light switch rated for 15 amps.

I simply got to the point where I wanted it to look neater.

Have a good week.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 04:14:49 am »
I do not agree with your opinion that "I should not be playing with this stuff."

You may not agree, but you should understand why such comments are being made.  Specifically, the questions you asked around the earth wire clearly show you do not understand how an earthing system works.  The concept is simple and it has major safety implications - especially in a workshop environment.

This will be a concern to pretty much anyone on this forum who has done anything involving mains power and is the reason for such comments being made.

It is good that you have brought questions here and that we can offer some assistance - but unless you have someone standing next to you as you work, there can be no certainty as to how well you understand what's been said.  We certainly can't provide the tuition necessary to ensure thorough training.  The fact that you may have added a switch is no guarantee you were doing things properly.  We simply don't know how well you did that job.  Applying some common sense may have allowed you to get away with that, however there may be some things you should have done to improve the safety and/or reliability.  Just because it hasn't blown up or killed anyone - so far - doesn't mean you did a good job.

What I will say is this: If you were to sell this unit to anyone here, the first thing we would do is open it up and check the wiring.

These comments of mine and others are not meant as a "put-down".  They are meant to alert you to the fact that there is a concern for your safety due to a lack of understanding.  If you wish to take offense with what I've said above, then that is your prerogative, but there will be many members here who will be nodding in agreement, even if they do not post.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Ysjoelfir

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2019, 06:37:28 pm »
isnt bench grinder (any mains ac motor) suppose to have 3 wires out from the motor? and to a capacitor?

or does it have a built-in capacitor inside the motor cover designed for eternal life? btw i dont like that metal toggle switch handle. if something wrong (in case the OP doesnt want to connect earth wire to chassis), that metal handle will be a good 110-220V conductor from chassis to human body. i prefer plastic/insulated handle, ymmv.

Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 12:28:25 am »
This would be a good replacement cord if you don't have one:

https://www.amazon.com/Conductor-3-Prong-Wiring-Replacement-Pigtail/dp/B07MCBPG5V/ref=pd_cp_23_1?pd_rd_w=51HB3&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=J0GJQJV3ZTX7K25A2C68&pd_rd_r=8eecd1ac-9d06-11e9-8864-c1ee86d5769a&pd_rd_wg=02759&pd_rd_i=B07MCBPG5V&psc=1&refRID=J0GJQJV3ZTX7K25A2C68

Otherwise you could buy a short extension cord with 3 prongs and 14/3 AWG wire (three 14 gauge wires).  Then cut it to length for the grinder. 
Sometimes cutting an extension cord in the middle and only using half is cheaper and easier to find.

Depending on the grinder placement in your shop, you may want a long cord.

In order to secure the cord, a plastic cable tie just inside the grinder cord hole will keep it from being pulled out.

https://www.amazon.com/HS-Plastic-Fencing-Outdoor-Purpose/dp/B078NQBSJR/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=cable%2Btie&qid=1562100911&s=gateway&sr=8-19&th=1

I ended up using 2 cable ties to keep the cable from being pulled out.

Thanks for not assuming the worst when I ask questions.

It's a big way I learn.

Andy
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 12:31:27 am by fixit7 »

Offline ptricks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2019, 01:35:18 pm »
isnt bench grinder (any mains ac motor) suppose to have 3 wires out from the motor? and to a capacitor?

Depends on the motor ,  cheaper grinders can probably get away with a shaded pole motor , like the ones on fans that don't require a start capacitor.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2019, 09:37:59 pm »
My grinder has no capacitor.

But it is 34 years old.

It is very heavy.

4 amp motor

I think it is just a big motor and doesn't really need a capacitor.

It must be well made to have lasted this long.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf