Author Topic: Yet another ESD-storage question  (Read 1644 times)

Offline ollihdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
Yet another ESD-storage question
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:40:37 pm »
Hi everyone!

I just had a stroke of luck getting my hands on some ESD-storage dirt cheap from an old Nokia repair shop that closed. I got some ESD storage containers (http://www.treston.fi/sites/default/files/294esd_0.jpg) that have a plate on the bottom to connect them to the ground and some ESD storage boxes.

The containers i have connected to each other and the last one to ground. My ground plug has a built in 1M resistor. The boxes however are just on my shelf.

My question is: can I just cover my shelves with conductive material, for example aluminum tape strips, and then connect the that conductive material to the same ground as the containers (the plug has multiple inputs). Would this be the right way to go? I'm guessing that the boxes are meant to be places on a ESD-workbench which would be connected to ground. So basically in my case the boxes would be sitting on conductive material connected to ground.

I have also attached two pictures of the gear i scored if someone is interested. Can only fit about 50% in my "lab" though :)

Offline ollihdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
Re: Yet another ESD-storage question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 08:26:59 am »
Anyone?

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 09:50:46 pm »
I guess that yes, it will do the job.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 12:58:34 am »
You don't have to ground your storage containers, as long as you don't go out of your way to insert/remove components without touching the container... While the container is levitating.  :-//

Any empty cookie tin is an ESD safe container. Also a faraday cage to protect against EMP devices and massive solar flares.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:07:36 am by KL27x »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf