Author Topic: DC-DC 3v to 400v step up  (Read 3403 times)

Offline acorn222Topic starter

DC-DC 3v to 400v step up
« on: July 08, 2019, 07:32:44 pm »
Hi, I am looking for a way to get DC-DC step up from 3v to 400v, only needing to deliver 5mA max at 400v, I have looked for a while now and have found some bulky modules, however I cannot find a way to do this in a compact mannor for a reasonable price (under $15), It needs to be able to be turned on and off at a logic level (which I know how to do externally, it would be nice to find a chip which could do this with it built in). The only modules I have found that can do this are for over $40 which seems way too much for what it is. My question is, are there any modules or chips I should know about that would help me? Thanks

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
Re: DC-DC 3v to 400v step up
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:25:38 pm »
The only thing I can think of is a flyback converter.  With such a high step up ratio, a boost converter would struggle having such a low duty, but may be possible to get 3 to 75V with a boost converter, followed by a couple of stages of a voltage multiplier.  Off the shelf flyback transformers (technically coupled inductors) are available for xenon camera flash and strobe circuits, often with the turns ratio of 1:10 or 1:12. 

There are also chips specifically designed to drive said inductors (deisnged to run off 2 AA's or Lithium = ~3V input), but these are more for charging photoflash capacitors rather than for a continuous DC output.  I would say any boost converter chip with a maximum peak output >40, and one of the mentioned transformers.  If you use a converter with an external MOSFET it'll be easier as you could pick a MOSFET with a higher Vds breakdown.

The following users thanked this post: acorn222

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 08:38:07 pm »
Oops! See Ejeffrey's comment below.  |O

Assuming 90% efficiency, 5mA @400V out needs 7.4A @3V in.  Pushing 22W through a flyback transformer while keeping efficiency up around 90% with only a 3V supply is going to be challenging. 

IMHO it needs a push-pull forward converter.  That's gong to need a  switching transformer with the right pri:sec ratio, with a center-tapped primary,  some big low Vgs threshold MOSFETS to drive the ends of the primary and a controller chip to provide antiphase gate drive, with current and voltage feedback, that will run at 3V.    It *MAY* be easier to boost the 3V to 12V just for the controller chip and MOSFET gate drive to allow a wider choice of parts.  The primary supply to the transformer would still be at 3V.

I doubt you could get the parts for $40 - custom magnetics that can handle approx 15A* primary current without saturation don't come cheap. 

You *MIGHT* get there with a transformer from an PC PSU driven backwards, using its 3.3V winding as the primary, and its original primary as the secondary, operating into a voltage doubling rectifier.

* When driving an inductor with a square voltage pulse, provided the flux resets to zero between pulses, the peak current is double the average current during the on time.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:27:57 pm by Ian.M »

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 08:59:03 pm »
Assuming 90% efficiency, 5mA @400V out needs 7.4A @3V in.  Pushing 22W through a flyback transformer while keeping efficiency up around 90% with only a 3V supply is going to be challenging. 

It's 2 W not 20 W :)

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 09:02:48 pm »
Hi, I am looking for a way to get DC-DC step up from 3v to 400v, only needing to deliver 5mA max at 400v, I have looked for a while now and have found some bulky modules, however I cannot find a way to do this in a compact mannor for a reasonable price (under $15)

This is just about the right voltage and power for the photoflash charger used in old (pre-LED) cameras. You should find lots of circuits and pre-assembled boards that can be used as-is or slightly modified. The specific topology is self-oscillating flyback, also called a blocking oscillator (obsolete term).

EDIT - found a good example for you: http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/XenonFlasher/XenonFlasher.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:18:56 pm by MagicSmoker »

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 09:12:11 pm »
I would break the problem/solution down into two stages.  Not as efficient or neat, but probably alot easier to get right with easily available parts.

Stage 1
3V to 12-24V.  Many COTS solutions for this or easy to use IC's (simple switchers/TI/etc..)

Stage 2
12/24V to 400V. Probably a little flyback design built using something like a Wurth WE-FLEX transformer.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 09:32:42 pm »
Ooops! Out by an order of magnitude. :palm: Looks like I cant math!  |O

Yes that makes a *BIG* difference and a flyback with a hand-wound pot core would be viable.

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 10:22:14 pm »
Ooops! Out by an order of magnitude. :palm: Looks like I cant math!  |O

Yes that makes a *BIG* difference and a flyback with a hand-wound pot core would be viable.

If I had a dollar for every time I messed up a calc by an order of magnitude I'd have 10 cents! <rimshot>

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Ian.M, capt bullshot, acorn222

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:35:26 pm »
This looks like it would work for you

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33007743089.html
US $4.97
Size:2.5*4.5cm
input 5v :output voltage 280-620v adjustable
input 3V: output voltage 200-450V adjustable

Dunno about the output current though, probably get 2W from it.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline acorn222Topic starter

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 10:16:07 am »
Hi again, thanks for all of your responses, It has made it a lot clearer for me to see what I need to do  :-+

Offline JJalling

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 05:48:09 pm »
How small do you need it to be? I can get it done in less than 1cm*1cm*3mm.
Can you suggest some papers or books to read, to be able to achieve this size? Maybe even component suggestions.

BR Jonas

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 01:54:35 am »
5 milliamps at 400 volts is 2 watts.  At that power level, an inverter may be a better choice than a flyback converter.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 03:39:41 am »
5 milliamps at 400 volts is 2 watts.  At that power level, an inverter may be a better choice than a flyback converter.

Presumably you mean CCFL inverter. When is the last time you saw a CCFL inverter that's in the size of 3.2mm*2.5mm?

With that transformation ratio and power level, I doubt a flyback configuration which has to use its transformer as an energy storage element will be smaller than an inverter.

CCFL inverters typically use current driven Royer oscillators but a hard switched inverter is feasible also.

Inverters can drive capacitive multipliers just as easy as flyback converters if that is required.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 04:18:32 am »
The cost is in the transformer. Best to use something off the shelf.
It's in the realm of compact camera xenon flash DC-DC converters, LT3750, LT3751 or NCP5080. Mating TDK or Coilcraft transformer is much higher current but good.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf