Author Topic: DC/DC converter with uC interface  (Read 3546 times)

Offline aixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: DC/DC converter with uC interface
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 10:10:25 am »
Driven by curiosity, I took apart a cheap Chinese 7530 blower fan that I'd managed to kill earlier.

Quality of construction aside, the PCB does have provisions for a third pin, though that part of the PCB is unpopulated.  The pin is labelled "O/P" and — if populated — would have been derived from FG/RD signals, all of which makes me think it's a sense output rather than a PWM input.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 10:16:48 am »
I am a hobbyist working on a microcontroller project in which I’d like to control the speed of a 12V BLDC fan by varying its supply voltage (no PWM).

I’d like to power everything from a single 5V USB supply

There is no point to make 5V->12V boost converter for 12V fan when you can just use 5V fan.  There are gazillions of various 5V fans available.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 10:21:44 am »
True, I meant to say that and forgot to mention it.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2019, 10:25:07 am »
Driven by curiosity, I took apart a cheap Chinese 7530 blower fan that I'd managed to kill earlier.

Quality of construction aside, the PCB does have provisions for a third pin, though that part of the PCB is unpopulated.  The pin is labelled "O/P" and — if populated — would have been derived from FG/RD signals, all of which makes me think it's a sense output rather than a PWM input.

i tried looking for the datasheet for the controller. It's very vague and does not even explain the chip. I am not sure what they mean by single phase motor.

Offline aixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 10:26:14 am »
There is no point to make 5V->12V boost converter for 12V fan when you can just use 5V fan.  There are gazillions of various 5V fans available.

The fan form factor (7530 blower, I posted a drawing earlier) is a hard constraint for my project.  While 5V versions do exist, they seem to be much less readily available.  Additionally, I'd like compatibility with a pre-existing controller whose replacement I am designing.  That controller requires a 12V fan.

P.S. This is also an opportunity for me to learn some new skills, which is an end in itself.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:30:10 am by aix »

Offline aixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2019, 10:27:44 am »
i tried looking for the datasheet for the controller. It's very vague and does not even explain the chip. I am not sure what they mean by single phase motor.

Yeah, that datasheet is a bit of an enigma.  I found several versions branded by different manufacturers but they're all equally mysterious (basically copies of each other).

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2019, 10:29:28 am »
Yes they are all identical copies.

Offline aixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 10:32:33 am »
In any event, I won't necessarily be expecting the next fan I use to have the same circuitry (even if it's identical on the outside). :)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 10:34:45 am »
Ah, well this is your problem. They are rated for 12V one may go down to 3V, another may not.

Offline aixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2019, 10:37:11 am »
Ah, well this is your problem. They are rated for 12V one may go down to 3V, another may not.

That I am happy to live with.  It's not a commercial product; I will be the only user and won't mind recalibrating the voltage limits in software when I get a new fan.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf