Author Topic: Decisions, decisions, decisions - my first scope.  (Read 955 times)

Offline AddisonAve1938Topic starter

Decisions, decisions, decisions - my first scope.
« on: April 21, 2024, 05:48:19 am »
I work predominantly on vintage audio equipment and design replacement solutions for associated obsolete parts, ICs, etc. I am trying to decide on what digital scope I should purchase.

I am torn between the Siglent SDS804X HD and the Keysight EDUX1052A. I am attracted to the Keysight for the well-established excellence in test equipment, but I am also impressed with the Siglent's ability to be "modified" to increase its bandwidth to 200 MHz and it having four channels. That being said, given my aforementioned interests, what would you recommend? I can purchase the Siglent new for $423.51 and the Keysight new for $426.70.

Excited to join the forum!

Thanks!

Offline Vovk_Z

• Super Contributor
Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions - my first scope.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 08:28:34 am »
Don't know much about those two, but I can add my two cents about frequency range. 20 MHz bandwidth is what you really need for audio staff. To have some margin it is a bit better to have 50 MHz scope. As for me - I have done most of my first audio designs succesfully with old soviet 5 MHz analog scope.
Now I have 350 MHz old analog Tek 2465a, but 100% of time I use it only with '20 MHz bandwidth limit' turned on.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 08:31:05 am by Vovk_Z »

The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB, AddisonAve1938

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 09:04:44 am »
I am torn between the Siglent SDS804X HD and the Keysight EDUX1052A.

I don't know either of them, but I wouldn't think twice about it.
The Siglent SDS804X HD is so vastly superior to the Keysight EDUX1052A in specs that it's almost impossible to compare the two (e.g. 12bit / 4ch / 50 Mpts vs 200kpts)
In fact, the EDUX1052A has even worse specs than my $130 Hantek (I am not comparing the "quality", just the specs).

At this price point, I wouldn't pay too much attention to "big names", warranty and such, but that's for you to decide.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 09:10:39 am by Aldo22 »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, AddisonAve1938

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 09:46:31 am »
I've used both.

The Keysight is a very basic scope. It has a UI derived from the 3000 series, but it feels cut down, cramped, and less responsive that its big brother. Annoyingly, it's also subtly different enough in layout that even though I use a 3000X every day, it still doesn't feel familiar. But it works just fine, and if you get on with the Keysight UI then of course it'll do a good job for you.

I bought my own SDS804X-HD last week. First impressions are that the user experience has a lot in common with the Keysight - also a bit cramped and fiddly, and if you can stretch to a model with a larger screen you won't regret it. But for audio work it's definitely a better bet IMHO - the 12 bit front end will make seeing small signals, and quantifying the noise on them, much easier.

You don't want 200 MHz for audio, it'll just increase the noise floor for absolutely no benefit whatsoever. You don't want 70 MHz either, frankly. Expect to use either scope with the 20 MHz bandwidth limiter switched on most of the time, and don't waste money on anything other than the lowest bandwidth version of either scope. Even digital ICs won't need the bandwidth if they're 'vintage'.

There's a lot of discussion on the forum about the Siglent right now, plenty of useful help and support provided you can overlook the occasionally defensive and abrasive comments. You won't get much community support with the Keysight because they just aren't as popular with hobbyists.

Can you get a demo of either? It may just come down to which scope you prefer the feel of.

The following users thanked this post: Aldo22, AddisonAve1938

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 10:24:42 am »
12bit vs 8bit = no contest !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: AddisonAve1938

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 10:31:29 am »
I think the importance of bandwidth is overrated for a scope. Sure, when you really need it, you need it, but  nearly all measurements I turn on the 20MHz bandwidth limit because it reduces noise and ringing artifacts. Also, if you want to measure at higher bandwidths, better grounding is mandatory. The 10cm crocodile GND clip just does not work as expected anymore at those frequencies. And using better grounding such as the small spring clip or even special probes is a real nuisance, and in practice you only use them when absolutely necessary.

Also, Siglent is a well respected brand with a very reasonable to good/ excellent quality and it probably has a better quality to price ratio then Keysight. I'd say don't buy Keysight because of it's name / reputation, but only if their equipment has specifications you want / need.

The following users thanked this post: AddisonAve1938

Offline AddisonAve1938Topic starter

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 04:39:19 am »
Thanks everyone! I am going to go with the Siglent SDS804X HD.

The advice and input is much appreciated - and I've toned down my Keysight (Hewlett-Packard) fan boy nature  :-DD

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 04:45:55 am »
I work predominantly on vintage audio equipment and design replacement solutions for associated obsolete parts, ICs, etc. I am trying to decide on what digital scope I should purchase.

I am torn between the Siglent SDS804X HD and the Keysight EDUX1052A. I am attracted to the Keysight for the well-established excellence in test equipment, but I am also impressed with the Siglent's ability to be "modified" to increase its bandwidth to 200 MHz and it having four channels. That being said, given my aforementioned interests, what would you recommend? I can purchase the Siglent new for $423.51 and the Keysight new for $426.70.

Excited to join the forum!

Welcome!
I would not buy a two channel scope these days.
And you can argue you shouldn't buy an 8 bit scope any more either.
Have you considerd the Rigol DHO800? It's cheaper again, so you can save some money and buy some other bits of kit with the savings.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 04:47:47 am by EEVblog »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf