Author Topic: desoldering capacitors, resistors and other components for testing  (Read 387 times)

Offline electron_jjTopic starter

Hi everyone, does any know if the process of desoldering capacitors, resistors and other components out of the circuit board may risk damaging these components in the process? The power supply board that I have been desoldering components out of uses lead free solder so the temperature of the solder is around 370 degrees and may even be higher. As I am new to electronics and still mastering the skill of desoldering, it had taken me longer time than average to desolder any component, say around 3-5 minutes or so and even more if there are residual solder in the through hole which takes even more time to disconnect the component. During the process, would the 370 degrees heat get transferred to the inside of the capacitor, resistor etc. and damage them? So far, the components that I have disconnected from the circuits all tested okay out of circuit. But in order to find out where the problems lies in the circuit, I anticipate I will need to desolder many more components to check, and I am concerned that the desoldering process may damage these components also. Grateful for any advice on this. Thanks!

Offline Kerlin

• Regular Contributor
Re: desoldering capacitors, resistors and other components for testing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 03:33:16 pm »
Sorry but fixing a power supply by desoldering each component and checking it is not the way to go.
Highly unlikely you will fix it that way.
You have skipped the whole process of studying the way power supplies work and then learning and applying fault finding techniques.
The maximum soldering temperature is often supplied by manufacturers on their data sheet, if you can't find a data sheet for that particular one then often a data sheet of similar components will do.
Generally if using correct practices desoldering and soldering through hole components components causes no problems. Surface mount components usually do have critical soldering requirements.
Also as a general guide if you spend more than six hours soldering a power supply PCB then consider it scrapped.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 03:55:25 pm by Kerlin »
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

Offline electron_jjTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 03:54:14 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Kerlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 03:56:22 pm »
Just added a bit to that
Do you know what the thread is about and are Comprehending what has been said ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf