Author Topic: Desoldering tool Hakko 808 - Good idea for beginners?  (Read 6373 times)

Offline plungerTopic starter

• Contributor
Desoldering tool Hakko 808 - Good idea for beginners?
« on: January 05, 2012, 11:31:34 am »
I'm just starting out and I'm currently setting up my hobby lab.

I am getting the Hakko FX-888 soldering station but this Hakko 808 desoldering took looks like a good thing to have also.

It's simple to use. I do plan on getting a rework station after I get all the basics first. I am starting from scratch with the Hakko FX-888 this weekend and possibly the Hakko 808. I had a terrible time trying to desolder some capacitors with a cheap direct wall plugging soldering iron that I want to jump right in and buy this $170 desoldering unit  ;D

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:09:42 pm by plunger »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Desoldering tool Hakko 808 - Good idea for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:42:46 am »
Most people get on just fine with a manual desoldering tool so generally a powered one isn't needed.

But never having used a powered one myself I cant really say much about them.
They're probably quite handy on 6-8 layer pcbs where you need to keep the heat applied while sucking out the solder.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:45:32 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:47:09 pm »
Its a good desoldering unit, made for industrial use and through hole parts, but it could be overkill for your current level of use.  A simple hand pump desoldering tool works well in the $5-10 range.  When you find its too slow for what you need, then you are ready to move up to a powered unit.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline hacklordsniper

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 03:17:50 pm »
I like more ZD987 and ZD985 that i use on daily basis. The desoldering tool is much smaller and lighter than the Hakko where everything is pushed in the handle.

This took just minutes : http://www.hacklordsniper.com/Slike_projekata/Projekt_(4)/Slika%20(7).JPG

Since you are making a hobby lab you can be sure you will want to recycle alot of components
Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 05:21:36 pm »
I do plan on recycling a lot of components.

I tinker a lot with computers and do my own builds but never repaired any broken except for a video card that I put in the toaster oven and it fixed the problem. I want to start repairing stuff instead of throwing it out.

That's why I think it's worth while to get a good unit.

Offline vr2whf

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 05:43:23 pm »
I find it difficult to desolder the through hole components, especially IC, from the double layer PCB, because the soldering lingering on both side of the board. I don't know if such powered sucker help.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 06:55:51 pm »
A hot air workstation is great for salvaging parts.  Its more versatile,  you can use it from SMT to through hole, both for soldering and desoldering.  The unique $60 Chinese design 858D works very well, just beware of its flaws, and it can be ordered typically only direct from China [ via Ebay.]
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline hacklordsniper

• Frequent Contributor
  • Don't turn it on, take it apart!
    • HackLordSniper
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 07:30:03 pm »
I find it difficult to desolder the through hole components, especially IC, from the double layer PCB, because the soldering lingering on both side of the board. I don't know if such powered sucker help.

The suction is enough strong to suck any solder from 2 sided board
Oh, the joy of sending various electronics to silicon heaven

Offline Kilroy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 09:48:59 pm »
This is a lovely time saving tool if you do a lot of through hole repair. It is light weight, easy to maintain and works extremely well. To be honest, I much prefer this tool to any desoldering station both from a design and utility perspective.

Advantages:

- vacuum source is closer to the tip giving a shorter more effective suction path...no silly hose to
  drag about.

- waaaaay quieter operation...it is only on when you pull the trigger...which is a really good thing
  (see below).

- portable, maneuverable, less tangly bits.

- low system complexity.

Disadvantages:

- no on/off switch for the heating element...why, oh why...?

- looks goofy.

- the flactuent sound the vacuum pump makes every time you pull the trigger will not win you
  any friends and could possibly induce violence after periods of prolonged use.

This tool will not lessen the need for good solder braid skills but it is an awesome tool for fast, clean through hole component removal where the least amount of heat stress is applied to the contact surface and component leads.

The fool generalizes the particular; the nerd particularizes the general; some do both; and the wise does neither.

Offline killaken2000

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 12:27:42 am »
I would say that if you think you might benefit from the use of it then you should buy it. Now I wouldn't buy this if there were other things that I needed first but if you have the money to spare then go ahead.

Also take into account the pros and cons presented by kilroy.

Offline SiBurning

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 02:58:48 pm »
I haven't tried the 808, but I do have a hakko FM-204 vacuum station. I couldn't justify the price of either just for salvaging potentially useful parts. The reaon I broke down and got one is that I thought I'd lifted or melted a trace on a DAC I was modding. Compared to a $1000 board, these things are a bargain. Given that cost perspective, I felt it worth getting a real temperature controlled station that has tips with integrated heaters. But that specific choice is more to do with my personal preference.

Aside from through-hole, these will be useful for cleaning up pads after desoldering, and on things like screws and terminals. The usefulness for removing SMD parts is limited to non-existent.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:01:31 pm by SiBurning »

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 03:19:32 pm »
It wouldn't really be for salvaging. More for removing bad thru-hole parts. For salvaging or SMD, I would get a hot air workstation.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf