Author Topic: Differential measurements using isolated oscilloscope  (Read 5051 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Differential measurements using isolated oscilloscope
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 04:42:13 pm »
I agree about the dangers of high voltage, but I want to stress that a random quote from a post forum has absolutely no value as a proof.... that smells so much of urban legend...

If you read the reference, that anecdote was written by the engineer that investigated the incident as part of his professional duties. It is much more credible than urban legend.

OK... I had missed that... you're right... in that case that's a reliable source

... and it is always worth being aware of the possibility of FOAF urban legends :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2019, 05:56:44 am »
I agree about the dangers of high voltage, but I want to stress that a random quote from a post forum has absolutely no value as a proof.... that smells so much of urban legend...

If you read the reference, that anecdote was written by the engineer that investigated the incident as part of his professional duties. It is much more credible than urban legend.

OK... I had missed that... you're right... in that case that's a reliable source

... and it is always worth being aware of the possibility of FOAF urban legends :)

The main problem is that old scopes had a metal case and it was much easier to touch a ground connected part.
Modern scopes (at least the cheap ones I know  :) ) have very few, easily touchable, ground exposed parts, in most cases just the BNC connectors.
Although not as safe as a good multimeter, they are much safer than the old scopes.
In any case, even with the right equipment, multimeter or isolated probes, you must be careful when dealing with dangerous voltages. No specialized equipment can protect you from some stupid mistakes.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2019, 08:23:40 am »
People that advocate floating a scope don't understand, can't recognise and hence can't avoid the risk.
As always, you are welcome to speak for yourself :-DD

Thousands of people survive this horrible experience. I'm not even sure if the accident ratio per hour flown isn't lower than in amateur aviation :P

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2019, 09:34:57 am »
In any case, even with the right equipment, multimeter or isolated probes, you must be careful when dealing with dangerous voltages. No specialized equipment can protect you from some stupid mistakes.

Yes, absolutely true.

It isn't even necessary to invoke stupid mistakes. We all make mistakes.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2019, 09:38:26 am »
People that advocate floating a scope don't understand, can't recognise and hence can't avoid the risk.
As always, you are welcome to speak for yourself :-DD

Thousands of people survive this horrible experience. I'm not even sure if the accident ratio per hour flown isn't lower than in amateur aviation :P

I'm speaking of people that exhibit the Dunning-Kruger syndrome. We know who they are but, by definition, they don't.

Thousands of people survive walking out into road traffic without looking; more so nowadays. By your "reasoning" we shouldn't point out that it is dangerous.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2019, 09:45:01 am »
Just let the natural selection do its thing...  >:D
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2019, 10:09:23 am »
Thousands of people survive walking out into road traffic without looking; more so nowadays. By your "reasoning" we shouldn't point out that it is dangerous.
Nobody says you should do it without looking. I say it's safe enough if you look, or at least no worse than any other poking in live HV electronics because that's what it boils down to.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2019, 08:32:01 pm »
Nobody says you should do it without looking. I say it's safe enough if you look, or at least no worse than any other poking in live HV electronics because that's what it boils down to.

Your statement, which you chose to omit, is equivalent to that in the way I noted.

Beginners don't understand the dangers; that makes it dangerous to advocate risky practices.

Plus many experienced professionals don't understand the dangers - or rather they incorrectly think they understand the dangers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf