Author Topic: DIY Bench power supply 0-24V 10A  (Read 7785 times)

Offline LekkeTopic starter

DIY Bench power supply 0-24V 10A
« on: May 20, 2011, 04:53:09 pm »
Hello

I have Powernet 220V -> 24V 10A SMPS laying around and Im in a need of bench supply. I thought that it would be nice and safe to use this power supply since I dont know how to do mains stuff safely. This would eliminate the need for potentially expensive transformer too.

Is there any easy way to build bench supply around this? Power dissipated with linear regulation seems a bit high, is it practical for this kinda thing? Are there any smps designs that would be practical for beginner? Tried to google those but didnt come up with anything useful.

Just as an brainfart, would it make any sense to buy/build 24V -> 12V dc-dc converter to mimic multiple transformer tabs found in linear bench supplys? That way power loss wouldnt be that high. Sounds a bit silly but I dont know.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: DIY Bench power supply 0-24V 10A
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:24:10 pm »
Building a switched mode power supply is a good idea but using a typical buck converter design to emulate a centre tap won't work. You need to design the 12V SMPs so it can both source and sink current forming a switched mode virtual earth.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf