Author Topic: DMM GIVEAWAY CONTEST FOR BEGINNERS  (Read 29226 times)

Offline xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
DMM GIVEAWAY CONTEST FOR BEGINNERS
« on: March 20, 2015, 05:17:12 pm »
*** CONTEST! ***

This is a contest for a free reconditioned and calibrated (by me) Tektronix CDM250 benchtop DMM. Since it is being offered free and I'm shipping it free, it's only for residents of the Unites States (sorry). The meter will come with a set of leads and power cord. Forum member Excavatoree has agreed to contribute two additional Fluke 27/FM handheld DMMs for the two runner-ups. These will be shipped free and will include test leads in a separate shipment from member Lightages. So there's 3 prizes.

Because this is not a drawing, I will limit the number of member entries to the first 12. To claim a spot, just make a post in this thread stating you will be submitting an entry evaluation and you will be in the list - no third party help please. First come first served. As soon as I get 12 spots claimed that's it. You will have 5 days (after today) to submit your full entry post so take your time. However you can ask questions, and it's also OK for the non-beginners reading along to help as long as we stay on-track. So we'll have three winners - First place wins the Tek DMM and 2nd - 3rd place wins a Fluke DMM.

Again, this is not a random drawing, so you can't just say "I'm Pooky Bear in for the DMM!" and not follow up with your entry post. You will have to convince me that you are really a beginner and need a free benchtop DMM (i.e. you are not the kinfolk of a millionaire who would not need help procuring equipment). Millionaires can be beginners but they don't need free DMMs.

Rules:

A. You must have been a member of the EEVblog forum prior to the date/time of this contest posting. No new signups just for the purpose of this contest will be accepted. (but join anyway because I think there will be more giveaways coming up hint hint).

B. You would be able to post a picture of your work area showing where the DMM will be used and also of the DMM in use when you get it. If this is a problem explain why.

C: Convince me you are a beginner that needs a free DMM. Pictures would probably help. It's up to you how.

I reserve the right to choose the final winner for the CDM250. I will ship free to the Unites States. The other two winners will be chosen by Excavatoree or by both of us.

Any non-beginner members are free to comment and ask questions, as long as they are helpful to the final determination. I will keep track now until I get 12 beginners claiming a spot and post a notice of the 12, then we'll just wait for the entry posts over the next 5 days, which should be written to convince me that you are a beginner AND need a free DMM.

Disclaimer:

No warranties expressed or implied, equipment provided as-is and is not being offered as suitable for any specific application, all responsibility for use and operation of supplied equipment remains the sole responsibility of the user, calibration not guaranteed, EEVBlog forum cannot be held responsible for any injury or loss related to misuse of supplied equipment. By accepting this equipment you agree to these terms.

Manuals available -

Tek CDM250 -

http://www.calstatela.edu/sites/default/files/groups/Department%20of%20Electrical%20and%20Computer%20Engineering/labs/cdm250.pdf

Fluke 27/FM -

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/digital-multimeters/Fluke-27.htm?PID=56055

First Prize -

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:34:20 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: DMM GIVEAWAY CONTEST FOR BEGINNERS
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:22:40 pm »
May I suggest that 3 days might not be long enough for some people to respond?

I will throw in test leads for the 27s, but it will take a while for them to arrive from Chile.  ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:25:31 pm »
May I suggest that 3 days might not be long enough for some people to respond?

I will throw in test leads for the 27s, but it will take a while for them to arrive from Chile.  ;D

OK, I had it at 5 days at first, but perhaps your right, I will change it back. Thanks for helping with the leads.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 05:44:54 pm »
LOL

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 05:58:03 pm »
xrunner and the others donating in this thread, you guys are great.  Good on you for helping others out!

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po

Offline jobog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 07:56:14 pm »
I will be submitting an entry for evaluation.

Thanks for doing this.

Offline TrunKate

• Contributor
  • Son & Mother Beginners!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 01:20:07 am »
I will submit an entry as well. Thank you!
"You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. This is not logical, but it is often true." -Spock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 01:21:40 am »
Great!

We now have:

jobog
TrunKate

:-DMM

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 08:04:54 am »
Fix the prize descriptions so that all will include test leads...

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 08:10:57 am »
Good ;luck to the entries, I see that there will be good use made of the prizes.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 12:34:45 pm »
Fix the prize descriptions so that all will include test leads...

OK done.

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 01:24:15 pm »
Great Idea guys  , What is it you want contestants to post ?   I read OP 4 times still not sure 
Check your tongue, your belly and your lust. Better to enjoy someone else’s madness.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »
Great Idea guys  , What is it you want contestants to post ?   I read OP 4 times still not sure

You have to try to convince me that you are a beginner and need  free DMM. If I just held a lottery I guarantee you I would be getting people who didn't need the DMM. How you convince me is your challenge.

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 01:48:50 pm »
Now the penny dropped...  When I began there were no meters , Just frogs legs... 
Check your tongue, your belly and your lust. Better to enjoy someone else’s madness.

Offline cowana

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 04:54:27 pm »
You have to try to convince me that you are a beginner and need  free DMM. If I just held a lottery I guarantee you I would be getting people who didn't need the DMM. How you convince me is your challenge.

I'm not a beginner and don't need to enter - but that sounds like a good way to pick a 'winner'. There are always so many people wanting to jump at the chance at 'free stuff' without having a real need for it - this seems like the best way of ensuring that a bit of unused test equipment can go to a beginner with a real need for it, and to make a big difference to someone's hobby!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 05:10:48 pm »
I'm not a beginner and don't need to enter - but that sounds like a good way to pick a 'winner'. ...

Thanks. I'm not perfect and there may be better ways, and anyone else can do their own donations however they want, but at least this presents some way to get it to a needy person. I still might get scammed by a creative non-needy person, but at least they are going to have to put some effort into it.  :)

So to date we have -

jobog
TrunKate

This might be easier than I thought, if we only get one more we'll have a prize for every entry no matter what they post!  :clap:

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 05:13:13 pm »
Perhaps only 2 beginners in the USA  ;)

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 05:40:43 pm »
Going by all the begging posts recently, beginners seem to think they need and deserve a free scope. One guy who I challenged on whether he really needed a scope said he couldn't be bothered explaining what he'd do with it. Too much effort. You've got a tough crowd if you're just giving away a DMM.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 05:59:42 pm »
Going by all the begging posts recently, beginners seem to think they need and deserve a free scope. One guy who I challenged on whether he really needed a scope said he couldn't be bothered explaining what he'd do with it. Too much effort. You've got a tough crowd if you're just giving away a DMM.

Ya, well if it's too much trouble to write a few sentences and post one picture then so be it. I'll just give all my extra stuff to my nephew.  ::)

But at least we have two people interested, and I know from interacting with at least one of them they are either a scammer extraordinaire or a genuine person interested in electronics. I think it's the latter.  :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 12:51:48 pm »
We have three participants. Shock had sent me a PM, when he posted "LOL" that was his indication he would try to win one.  :-//

jobog
TrunKate
Shock

Contest ends Wed, Mar 25 2015. Remember - all participants still need to show they are beginners and NEED a free DMM.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 01:29:51 pm »
We have three participants. Shock had sent me a PM, when he posted "LOL" that was his indication he would try to win one.  :-//

jobog
TrunKate
Shock

Contest ends Wed, Mar 25 2015. Remember - all participants still need to show they are beginners and NEED a free DMM.

Alright, guys, make it count.  This is a very generous thing xrunner is doing, even if it is ONLY for a DMM.  I have a military surplus 27FM.  Accurate and built like a brick house.  It would probably make a good blunt force weapon.  Xrunner, for blessing others the way you are, you will be blessed 10 times over.  You get  :-+ :-+!
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 03:30:58 pm »
Your post has added nothing but a bit of negativity to this thread... Good job, xrunner... we could use more folks like you around here... and fewer cynical curmudgeons.

Offline iamdarkyoshi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 04:17:59 pm »
I dont have a picture of my workspace at the moment, but my best DMM is a 5$ cheapo that doesnt even have a continuity buzzer. It has never worked correctly, and has ruined many projects from incorrect readings. However, if someone else needs it more than me, go ahead!

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 04:31:16 pm »
my best DMM is a 5$ cheapo

Mine is a DT830, one of those free-to-$5 clones.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf