Author Topic: Do I have it right? | Efficient powering of small ASIC cluster  (Read 222 times)

Offline NLMTopic starter

Do I have it right? | Efficient powering of small ASIC cluster
« on: February 12, 2024, 01:36:46 pm »
Hi All,

I am building a cluster of small ASIC miners and looking for a more efficient way to power them. The ASICs come with a 120W laptop style charger, for power (stock speeds) they require 100W at 16v-19v. Now for 2 or 3 this is ok but more than that it is not very efficientor clean to have a bunch of laptop chargers and using tons of outlets.

I have some 1200W server PSU that I would like to use, problem is they are 12v, so what I was thinking is:

Server PSU > Breakout board > ATX 6 pin off breakout to voltage step-up > to ASIC which accepts 2.5*5.5mm DC jack.

I will be running these ASIC overclocked which increases power to about 160W.

In theory I should be able to power 6 ASIC per 1200w server PSU, it would be much cleaner and efficient / cheaper.

This all sounds good in my head, and I think should work. BUT I am new to doing mods like this and looking for any advice or things I should be watching out for.

Cheers,
NLM

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Do I have it right? | Efficient powering of small ASIC cluster
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 03:18:06 pm »
Sounds like a PITA.  The boost converters will kill your efficiency and cost a fair bit as you need 10A ones to have some margin.   A 1000W 18V PSU can support six 160W loads direct, with much simpler wiring.  Maybe derate to five loads to have some margin.

N.B. 2.5x5.5mm barrel jacks are *not* trustworthy at high currents.

Offline PSR B1257

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Do I have it right? | Efficient powering of small ASIC cluster
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 03:37:59 pm »
https://www.meanwell.com/productSeries.aspx#The PSPA-1000-15 (can be adjusted to 17V output voltage) should suit your needs.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf