Author Topic: do i really need a Signal Generator?  (Read 18675 times)

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: do i really need a Signal Generator?
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 05:39:22 pm »
If you have an oscilloscope then you should have a function generator.  Combining the two allows manual low frequency vector network measurements, transient response measurements, and curve tracing.  Even without an oscilloscope, a function or audio signal generator is useful with an AC voltmeter to do things like tune speaker enclosures.

Yes, but often you simply create a signal source specifically for the current project, often as part of the project.

It can be argued that if the primary interest is digital, then a pattern generator might be more useful.

Digital designs still have analog problems like voltage regulation and power supply decoupling and a function generator can serve as a variable frequency clock source as needed.

I disagree with xani about the utility of an analog function generator which opens up more low cost choices.  The cheap DDS ones have their own collection of problems and usually have other limitations.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 06:34:02 pm »
If you have an oscilloscope then you should have a function generator.  Combining the two allows manual low frequency vector network measurements, transient response measurements, and curve tracing.  Even without an oscilloscope, a function or audio signal generator is useful with an AC voltmeter to do things like tune speaker enclosures.

Yes, but often you simply create a signal source specifically for the current project, often as part of the project.

It can be argued that if the primary interest is digital, then a pattern generator might be more useful.

Digital designs still have analog problems like voltage regulation and power supply decoupling and a function generator can serve as a variable frequency clock source as needed.

How often does an amateur use a function generator to assess PSU issues?

The last time I needed an easily variable frequency clock source, I used a couple of monostables :) Besides, pattern generators make useful clock generators within their limitations.

Function generators also open up the possibility of applying invalid voltages and buggering inputs; pattern generators are less prone to that.

I disagree with xani about the utility of an analog function generator which opens up more low cost choices.  The cheap DDS ones have their own collection of problems and usually have other limitations.

One strategy is for a beginner to get a cheap X, learn its limitations - and preferably to use imagination to avoid the limitations being problems. Then they are in a good position to know what they need to buy and why.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline AllTheGearNoIdea

• Supporter
    • AllTheGearNoIdea
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 07:30:46 pm »
As I was advised in the TEA thread the ideal number  for pieces of test equipment to own is one more than you already have.

Regards Chris
AllTheGearNoIdea Where Its All About The Gear

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 07:42:04 pm »
As I was advised in the TEA thread the ideal number  for pieces of test equipment to own is one more than you already have.
Q: "Why do I need three scopes?"
A: "You need three before you can have four".

Too bl**dy true :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: AllTheGearNoIdea

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 09:16:33 pm »
How often does an amateur use a function generator to assess PSU issues?

It is one of the first things I recommend for transient and frequency response testing in combination with an oscilloscope when things get weird and usually they lack a function generator.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf