Author Topic: Dodgy USB hub  (Read 4684 times)

Offline davidbrewerTopic starter

Dodgy USB hub
« on: February 28, 2018, 03:33:44 pm »
So I got a couple cheap USB hubs online and when testing them I noticed only one port works at a time, and if you connect devices to two ports and plug it in none work. :palm:
I decided to open up and see what was inside, and it appears to have literally no components inside, but the silkscreen and pads are there!

Has anyone ever seen anything like that? Can I fix it, and is there any way to find out which kinds of components/values I need to do so? I can see what I believe is a surface mount cap, an SMD cap and an SMD resistor, I don't know what the Y would be (a crystal maybe)? Somewhat blurry photos below.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Dodgy USB hub
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 03:40:47 pm »
You can mount anything as Y1. It is not connected to anything at all and will make no difference. This is not an USB hub as is clearly shown by the tracks connecting all USB pins of all connectors in parallel. This is just something that can distribute USB power to some more devises (lamps, fans, etc) or charge mobile phones.

The following users thanked this post: davidbrewer

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 03:47:52 pm »
You can mount anything as Y1. It is not connected to anything at all and will make no difference. This is not an USB hub as is clearly shown by the tracks connecting all USB pins of all connectors in parallel. This is just something that can distribute USB power to some more devises (lamps, fans, etc) or charge mobile phones.

Damn, it was definitely being sold as a USB hub, oh well.
So the missing components are just to provide some protection?

Offline m_t

• Contributor
    • GitHub
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 03:51:13 pm »
So the missing components are just to provide some protection?

The lower pads of R1 and C1 don't seem to be connected to anything either...

Offline ArdWar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 03:51:51 pm »
A real USB hub will have multiplexer or controller chip of some sort. This "hub" however, obviously have none, and even populating the missing components won't make it works because they basically lead to nowhere. It won't even change the circuit behavior ;D

The only useful thing to do with this stuff is maybe as USB power distributor. Even then, it might not work properly if the power supply or receiver implement newer USB PD protocol strictly.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 03:54:54 pm »
The lower pads of R1 and C1 don't seem to be connected to anything either...

A real USB hub will have multiplexer or controller chip of some sort. This "hub" however, obviously have none, and even populating the missing components won't make it works because they basically lead to nowhere. It won't even change the circuit behavior ;D

The only useful thing to do with this stuff is maybe as USB power distributor. Even then, it might not work properly if the power supply or receiver implement newer USB PD protocol strictly.

|O ouch
Now I'm wondering what would be the point of adding that to the board then...

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 03:59:01 pm »
I think it was originally designed as a forgery. With an electrolytic cap fitted as C1 and a crystal fitted as Y1, it would look like a genuine product from above (obviously not if you removed the PCB and found no Silicon or smt on the back). [EDIT: maybe it originally even had the two smd parts and a blob of black epoxy too].

They then appear to have 'cost reduced' it!  :palm:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:03:43 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 04:14:47 pm »
Would it work as an SMD solder practice board?
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 05:06:09 pm »
LOL... 

A USB power splitter^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H HUB!   :-DD

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 07:06:15 pm »
Send it to these guys:

"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 07:22:37 pm »
That's not a "USB hub", that's only good for charging two or three phones from a single USB socket, and only marginally good at that...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 07:38:05 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 01:31:47 am »
Very unusual. It's like someone took the PCB design from an actual hub, then erased all the active circuitry and just connected all the ports in parallel... but then that crystal would be too far from the IC, and a lot of hub ICs don't even need a crystal to work (those two appear to be direct clones of each other, as the DL1049's datasheet clearly has the schematic's "MW7211" text sloppily overwritten with "DL1049".) :wtf:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/teardown-a-really-cheap-4-port-usb-hub/

On the other hand, this one discussed here recently, looks like it was never designed with any active circuitry:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fascinating-usb-hub-teardown/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf