Electronics > Beginners

Does an electrolytic capacitor work in vacuum?

(1/5) > >>

aramis:
Electrolytic capacitor in vacuum

I have to design a printed circuit board for a cubesat (small educational 1 kg satellite). The circuits on this PCB have a few capacitors from 10 uF to 2200 uF.

Question: Do electrolytic capacitors work in vacuum? If not what alternatives do I have?

Time:
They might work but I doubt they put electrolytics in satellites in the first place.  Tantalum is an alternative that might work for you though they are slightly more expensive.

Alex:
They will work if at the right temperature.

Check the standards in the aerospace industry (NASA does their own standards too), I am sure it is very tightly regulated and you are forced to use specific types.

aramis:
The price is not a problem. They can be 3-4 times even ten times more expensive than ordinary (electrolytic) capacitors. I am just looking for some capacitors that can work in space and also have a volume as small as possible because those cubesats are so tiny (in comparison with ordinary satellites) that any cubic centimeter of their volume is valuable space.

Time:
Look at tantalum capacitors than.  Liquid tantalums will have the best size/capacity ratio but they will probably be more temperature sensitive.  I think you are good on the pressure side for both tantalum and electrolytic.

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/data/capacitor/tantalum-capacitor.php

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version