Author Topic: Dogs Barking  (Read 1664 times)

Offline mountpleasureTopic starter

Dogs Barking
« on: August 13, 2019, 02:17:06 pm »
Hi
Has anyone built a high powered unit to stop neighbors dogs barking? Please help

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: Dogs Barking
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:33:40 pm »
  You don't need a high powered unit. A .22 LR (Long Rifle) is sufficient.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, Erikkssen, bd139, mountpleasure

Offline Audioguru again

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 03:41:27 pm »
High powered what? Sounds? Wouldn't dogs also bark at high powered sounds?

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 04:11:49 pm »
there is no need for high powered device. Just buy dog repeller like this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32979578797.html

When you activate it against barkling dog, the dog will shut up immediately and run away with its tail held between the legs  :-DD

The exception is just deaf dog that does not hear anything.

It also works against cats. ::)

I can recommend to desolder leds (they consume more power from the battery) and to replace ultrasonic transducer with this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32644794200.html

Because transducer that comes with device (in plastic case) is cheap and will be damaged very quickly due to high ultrasonic energy.

Also I recommend to use this Li-Ion accumulator for this repeller: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32807381507.html

Because it consumes about 500-700 mA and usual 6F22 battery cannot handle such current.

You can also buy these transducers and make your own DIY repeller. All what you needs is just to put 24 kHz 60 V signal to the transducer. In order to get 60 V amplitude, you can use step-up transformer. And feed it with 24 kHz oscillator with power amplifier.

Here is frequency response of these transducers. I bought two pairs and they almost identical:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:24:06 pm by radiolistener »

The following users thanked this post: mountpleasure

Offline mountpleasureTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 05:27:29 pm »
Hi

Thanks, these dogs are about 200M from my house out in the country. The sound seems to carry better at night and they bark all night, that's why I was asking about high powered.
Would your solution suffice?

Josie

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 05:44:40 pm »
hm... you can try to make high power repeller. Just combine 10 transducers.

One transducer produces about 120 dBA. So, 10 coherent transducers will produce about 20 * log10( 10 * 10^(120/20) ) = 140 dBA  :phew:

At 200 meters 140 dBA will be reduced to about 73 dBA (if there are no obstacles to the sound way), but this is still enough to scare the dog  :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:53:26 pm by radiolistener »

The following users thanked this post: mountpleasure

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 05:52:15 pm »
Just ordered one to try on my neighbours dogs in hope of educating them.
People should require to take training and exam before being allowed to own a dog. Another prequesite should be a bug enough garden.
The noise is terrible and most dogs are kept in substandard condition once the novelty of owning them wears off.

Would be nice to mod the device to automatically activate on barking.

Regards
Vitor

Offline Chriss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 06:19:34 pm »
Hi!
I'm also interested in this project. What I'm curious is why should dogs scare if  ultrasonic sound is surrounding them?

I don't understand that.
I have four dogs and I tried several devices from aliexpress but they didn't reacted to that tools in some serious way.
They just recognized the sound and listened but after some time they started to ignore the sound...

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:38:52 pm by Chriss »

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 06:35:13 pm »
Chriss, dogs scare it because sound is very loud. We just don't hear it, because it's frequency is out of range for our ear, but dogs can hear and it is so loud like screaming in the ear :)

You can learn dog to ignore it, the same as you can learn dog to ignore pistol shots near the ear. But most of the dogs will scare it :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:41:40 pm by radiolistener »

The following users thanked this post: Chriss

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 06:39:56 pm »
I think you would have considerable difficulty making an untrasound dog repeller that would work over a 200m range. You would need a phased array for beam forming and who knows how many high power transducers. Maybe you could just ask uBeam or go and have a word with the neighbours.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 06:47:10 pm »
Would be nice to mod the device to automatically activate on barking.

there is already exists such device: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32856921025.html

I didn't tested this one, but at a glance it should works.

But 200 meters is really long distance. There is needs something much more powerful.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:50:16 pm by radiolistener »

Offline Chriss

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 07:45:32 pm »
Chriss, dogs scare it because sound is very loud. We just don't hear it, because it's frequency is out of range for our ear, but dogs can hear and it is so loud like screaming in the ear :)

You can learn dog to ignore it, the same as you can learn dog to ignore pistol shots near the ear. But most of the dogs will scare it :)

You are maybe right, my four German Shepherds are trained for property and personal protection and they serve for this purpose.
But I never told the training center to teach them for such of things like ignoring this kind of "weapon", but yes, the training center teached the dogs for ignoring weapon shots and reacting if the attacker has a knife or anything in the hand until he/she is attacking etc.
Maybe this is the reason why I never achieved a positive result with such of devices.
Whenever I tried this devices the dogs just listen and was curious what's going on and looked at me like I'm an idiot.  :-DD

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 08:05:31 pm »
most of the aggressive dogs that barking and trying to bite, very scared and cowardly run away when I'm using it. Especially when I use it very close.

On the distance about 1 meter dogs just jumping away like crazy when I power on this device. On the distance about 5 meters they stops to barking and go away with the tail held between the legs. On the distance 10 meters and more they still can hear it but their reaction is not so panic :)

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 08:14:11 pm »
Whenever I tried this devices the dogs just listen and was curious what's going on and looked at me like I'm an idiot.  :-DD

There are possible 2 reason for that:

1) the device has low ultrasonic power level, some models don't works well, also with usual 6f22 battery it works not so good, because a usual battery cannot provide a current of almost 1 Amp, there is needs Li-Ion battery.

2) a deaf dog or when dogs ears are overgrown with hair, so the dog just don't hear it :)

Yellow device works pretty well for most of the dogs. But yes, some dogs just don't hear it for some reason
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 08:25:42 pm by radiolistener »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf