Author Topic: Drake W4 sticky meter  (Read 256 times)

Offline TUSHINTopic starter

Drake W4 sticky meter
« on: May 22, 2024, 07:35:19 am »
I have an old Drake W4 wattmeter with a sticky meter.  Before I try a small amount of machine oil on the meter bearing, has anyone seen the same problem and what was the fix?

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Drake W4 sticky meter
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 08:27:39 am »
Welcome.

Just a quick reply as I need to move. I've had a quick look on the web and all (there were lots of) the Drake (RF?) wattmeters I saw had traditional moving coil meters. Do not go anywhere near the meter with machine oil, you will ruin it!

Now please provide more detail - the model of the meter, a photo, more detail of exactly how the meter is behaving - is it in particular locations on the dial etc. You need to provide a decent level of information if you expect a reasonable level of help.

Edit: sorry, I missed the W4, but as I mentioned, the nature of the sticking, whether you've had it for years and it's slowly / suddenly come on. Whether you've just received it from ebay etc. are all relevant.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 08:47:05 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Re: Drake W4 sticky meter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 10:59:04 am »
A  D'Arsonvol  : meter movement is a PRECISION device with springs and bearing and tiny tolerances like a fine mechanical watch

NEVER APPY OIL OR COMPRESSED AIR

This is typical of a Flake of scale paint or  metal particle  falls into the movement.

General drill:  Hold instrument with  meter face, down,

Tap sides repeatedly, see if any tiny flakes or particles fall on face.

Snap face off, shake out particles.

Test.

No result, repeat.

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf