Author Topic: drill bit Standard through hole lead size  (Read 4174 times)

Offline amateur_25Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
drill bit Standard through hole lead size
« on: May 18, 2014, 11:54:25 am »
Am I correct in saying the standard hole for through hole components is 0.7mm ?
I need to know because I need to buy more hss drill bits since they're very easy to snap when you're drilling free hand with a dremel.
I been using the wrong size drill bit so my components wobble

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: drill bit Standard through hole lead size
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:02:41 pm »
Make a very tiny hole first in the pcb with an ultra sharp punchiron. The bit will grab directly instead of wondering around and snap. Also fix the pcb tightly to prevent horizontal motion.

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:06:19 pm »
I usually use 0.8mm for standard stuff, and 1mm for larger stuff.
Seems to work for me so far.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 12:43:37 pm »
I use 0.8mm for almost everything, 1.1mm for slightly larger stuff,  1.4mm for very large stuff
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 07:44:09 pm »
Don't use twist drills. They are too long and flexible. Use the correct spade point carbide drills which have a 0.8mm bit only 3-4mm long in a 3mm shank. Also run them at 10,000rpm, or as fast as possible but less than 3,000 rpm and they don't cut too well.

Offline ampdoctor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 10:41:15 pm »
When I roll my own boards I fully expect the fit and finish to be a little ugly. If you want pretty, farm it out! That said, if I'm working on building a prototype I tend to use the 3/64" bit you find in the common 7 piece dremel index. It's a little big but it's not horrible at least for the 1/2w resistors and more common TH caps I use. For 1/4 or 1/8w components you might want to go down to the 1/32" bit depending on the lead size. If you want the hole size bang on exactly right, then you'll probably want to invest in a set of precision bits and a drill press.

Here's my personal slick trick for those "off the shelf" bits. I use that broken bit you speak of! When I secure it in the chuck there's only a small nub poking out and it doesn't flex or wobble even with a fair amount of downward pressure. It's just long enough to get through about 3-4 mm worth of FR-4 stock.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 11:48:22 pm »
Translated for the metric.

(...) I tend to use the 3/64"  1.2mm bit (...) you might want to go down to the 1/32" 0.8mm bit (...)
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline ampdoctor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:20:32 am »
Translated for the metric.

(...) I tend to use the 3/64"  1.2mm bit (...) you might want to go down to the 1/32" 0.8mm bit (...)

That's fine. Just saying though that those 7 bit dremel indexes are labeled imperial and not metric.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-628-01-Piece-Drill-Bit/dp/B0000302Z3

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf