Author Topic: DSO138 2 pin male connector - what is it?  (Read 701 times)

Offline NikJTopic starter

DSO138 2 pin male connector - what is it?
« on: February 21, 2022, 04:21:55 pm »
Hi

Total newb & first post. I bought an assembled DSO138 and what to connect it to a 9v battery. What is the male plug that I need for the white 2 pin connector and can I buy it in less that vast quantities?

Thanks!

Online Vovk_Z

• Super Contributor
Re: DSO138 2 pin male connector - what is it?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 05:21:42 pm »
Which connector are you talking about, NX2500-02?

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 05:21:49 pm »
Apparently, you have 2 choices for power.  The circular connector and 2-pin connector are wired in parallel.

The 2-pin connector is characterized by its pin spacing.  My guess is that it is 2.54mm/0.1".  Then you need to find a matching plug that is keyed so it cannot be inserted wrong.  JST, Amphenol, Molex and others make them.  Finding a matching plug for the circular connector might be easier. Center pin is positive.

The following users thanked this post: NikJ

Offline NikJTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 05:48:49 pm »
Thank you! The barrel connector looks like I can buy singles, rather than tens or hundreds of the 2 pin  :)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 06:40:17 pm »
The power header is a JST XH connector. One of the most common connectors in the world. Absolutely not something where you’d have to buy hundreds or thousands. Or even tens. You can order a single one from Digi-Key or any number of resellers. And clones are insanely cheap on AliExpress.

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 06:06:09 pm »
Be aware that if you run the DSO138 from a 9V battery, when the battery gets low, you will start to get incorrect waveform levels. If memory serves, it's to do with the negative voltage reference circuitry not working properly below about 7.5V.

And regardless of method of power supply, you cannot give it less than 7V anyway because it uses a 7805 regulator for the 5V rail which has a 2V dropout voltage.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 06:58:00 pm »
You would be better to use a 6 (or 8 )* x AA battery holder with NiMh rechargeable batteries. The end voltage isn't so much of an issue then because you can just recharge them.

I did a write-up on the JYE DSO138 Forum a few years ago on how to reduce the minimum supply voltage. With all modifications, I managed to get it down to 5.4V. Note that I really wouldn't attempt this unless you are experienced - particularly the removal of the reverse supply protection diode!

https://forum.jyetech.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=744

EDIT: * I can't remember whether the regulator gets a little too hot at 12V.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 07:09:37 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf