Author Topic: eBay score - at least I hope so! HP 1741a oscilloscope for $75!  (Read 2238 times)

Offline lbeckm3Topic starter

eBay score - at least I hope so! HP 1741a oscilloscope for $75!
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:39:00 pm »
Well I'm really hoping it works and I got, what I believe to be, is a good deal;

eBay auction: #301532209723

On the back there are a few stickers, one of which concerns me a little bit and that is the one that says it's a "demonstration product".  That, to me, could mean it's a very nice factory specimen that would be demo'd to professionals and really well calibrated and such.  Or, it was a model that didn't live up to standards and was a demo to show it lighting up etc.  I probably worry too much either way... but on the whole for less than $109 US shipped to my house - I think I may have a great beginner scope to play with next week!

Also, I've just BEGUN to read these forums here, and in my perusal, ran across a great teardown and rebuild on this particular scope from a few years ago!  That was a fantastic read and really has me stoked I got a good one here!

Thanks for looking!

-Lyle
-Lyle

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: eBay score - at least I hope so! HP 1741a oscilloscope for $75!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 10:26:44 pm »
Good luck with your new scope. :-+  Would you mind putting your country flag in your profile so we know where you come from?  There may come a time when you ask a question that can have multiple answers depending on your location.  By the way, welcome to the forum.  You might also want to put a blurb in the new member thread at the top of the general chat page so everyone can learn a bit more about you.  There are also quite a bit of good oscilloscope primers if you aren't familiar with there use, especially by W2AEW, so you don't  :-BROKE.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 11:27:46 pm »
... Would you mind putting your country flag in your profile so we know where you come from?  ... You might also want to put a blurb in the new member thread at the top of the general chat page ...

Thanks for pointing those things out!  Done and done.   :)
-Lyle

Offline RJFreeman

• Regular Contributor
    • Australian Technical Production Services
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 11:43:32 pm »
100Mhz, dual channel analogue storage scope for under $110 It looks like a good score!

I have to admit it has been a while since I used an analogue (excuse UK/Aussie spelling) storage scope, but in case you haven't already found it Agilent have the user/service manual here:
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/01741-90911.pdf

HP did love using their own part numbers and I was involved in putting together a CSV (spreadsheet) a few years ago, to translate part numbers available here;
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/hp/hpcross/
and there are some good cross references (which may or may not be in the CSV version, I forget where we got up to) here;
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/hpparts.html#cross

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 11:55:47 pm »
Score!

Good find!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 02:15:45 pm »
Thanks for the links!  I did manage to find the manual myself as well, but do appreciate you posting the link for me.  The other links I did not know about - I have bookmarked those for future reference!

Now I wait...  It's kind of funny, most of my experience is with microcontrollers (picaxe, basic stamp etc.).  Now I've picked up a few old tube radios from the 30's and 40's and am recapping them and attempting to get them to work - so it's the other end of the spectrum here for those.  Sad thing is I can see myself spending a few hundred to thousands of dollars to ramp up to fix a radio I picked up for $20...  If anyone is interested I have some pics up and description at;

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=269653

Great community over there as well - lots of friendly folks to help you out with these old radios.
-Lyle

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf