Author Topic: Edge slot connector  (Read 535 times)

Offline sairfan1Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Edge slot connector
« on: March 04, 2024, 06:07:21 pm »
Please refer to benow image I'm going to use these old school style connectors in my project where I will be changing insert PCBs quite frequently, I want to know if someone has experience using these connectors I wanted to know my expectation are right? like I want to know is there anything like if it will lost its grip and could not grip well all connecting points (traces) on PCB? or anyother kind of issue may occure while frequent change of PCBs

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Edge slot connector
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 06:10:59 pm »
These are designed for dozens of insertions. So maybe 50. The daugtherboard should have gold edge plating, and still it could wear out. So #define frequently.

The following users thanked this post: sairfan1

Offline sairfan1Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 07:21:45 pm »
For higer freuqncy of changing extended PCBs can I use header as in below picture?

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 07:53:48 pm »
Many manufacturers give the "cycle" rating in the datasheet.  For pin type connectors that you show, the ratings can vary considerably depending on how the female part is made.  Some may be as low as 10.

Online selcuk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 08:04:55 pm »
I used one of those edge slot connectors as an adaptor for a jlink device. The PCBs had programming pins as board edge pads. PCBs were not gold plated since they required to be flashed very few times. But the connector was reliable enough to program 1000s of boards. It might be gold plated.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 09:12:20 pm »
I used one of those edge slot connectors as an adaptor for a jlink device. The PCBs had programming pins as board edge pads. PCBs were not gold plated since they required to be flashed very few times. But the connector was reliable enough to program 1000s of boards. It might be gold plated.

I use card edge type connectors for production programming panels as well. 
Design the limited insertion cycles into your setup by keeping track of actual insertions and making the card edge connector easily replaceable (ideally on it's own little board cabled into the rest of the system).  Have the test setup alert the tech when it's time to replace the card edge connector.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 09:45:29 pm »
I think some undocumented advice has been given. Hirose offers card edge connectors and gives "insertion cycles" as part of its specifications.  They vary from a few thousand, maybe less, to 20,000, maybe more.  I just didn't spend the time searching.  I must be more lazy than the original poster.  That range should be adequate for most applications.

http://ew.lens.unifi.it/datasheets/Hirose_Connectors_Selection_Guide[10].pdf

Online newtekuser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 09:54:38 pm »
Those type of connectors were found in gaming consoles from the 80s and 90s. They were designed to withstand abuse and probably thousands of insertion cycles, definitely not in the tens. Imagine if the user had 100 games in their collection and could only use them once because the connector outlived its limited lifespan.
Good luck finding one that lasts as long as those though.
I only have experience with PCIe and can tell you those CEM slots don’t last very long. Fortunately I’m not the one who has to fork 50K for a new prototype motherboard when something silly like this goes out :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 11:50:41 pm by newtekuser »

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 02:31:57 am »
Those type of connectors were found in gaming consoles from the 80s and 90s. They were designed to withstand abuse and probably thousands of insertion cycles, definitely not in the tens. Imagine if the user had 100 games in their collection and could only use them once because the connector outlived its limited lifespan.
I only have experience with PCIe and can tell you those CEM slots don’t last very long. Fortunately I’m not the one who has to fork 50K for a new prototype motherboard when something silly like this goes out :)

So what you are saying is that once the connection starts to get flakey you should take it out and blow on it?   :⁠-⁠)

Online newtekuser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 03:03:47 am »

So what you are saying is that once the connection starts to get flakey you should take it out and blow on it?   :⁠-⁠)

If that’s what it takes, sure :))

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf