Author Topic: Eimac 3-1000z as night light (really)  (Read 439 times)

Offline blowfishTopic starter

Eimac 3-1000z as night light (really)
« on: September 26, 2022, 07:00:10 pm »
I've got a real desire to turn an Eimac 3-1000z into a dresser-mounted night light.

I've seen this video on Youtube

and the purple glow from that thing is mesmerizing (to me).

My question:  what does it take to make that thing glow like that?  I've checked the specs and it says the heater voltage is 8 volts and 20 amps.  Is that all I would have to do to get that thing to glow?  Just supply it with 8 volts at up to 20 amps ?

In the Youtube video, he's got it on standby.  He mentions a plate voltage of 3500 volts.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks.

Offline The Doktor

• Regular Contributor
Re: Eimac 3-1000z as night light (really)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 07:16:32 pm »
The heater voltage is all it takes to get the yellowish white filament glow, please note that's 160 watts for a night light, giving off lots of heat. The bluish glow will take a few KV and at least several tens of ma, more likely over 100ma. It is a beautiful display piece, but expensive to run and lethal if someone makes contact. Use extreme caution.

Ed

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 07:24:08 pm »
Is there actually a purple glow or is that just an artifact of the camera? Camera sensors are sensitive to IR so even with the filter any object that is glowing red will appear a purplish color to most cameras. 160 Watts to drive the filament is an incredibly large amount for a nightlight. I could run the majority of the (LED) lights in my house for that much power.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 07:38:53 pm »
The visible light émissions are misculle the, 99.5% is Infrared

Blue of energized TX tube is soft x-rays exciting the glass fluorescence, if Vplate> 10 kV.

Most TX tube lamps place à conventional bulbsocket on the plate cap, and /or place LEDs under the glass   envelope at the base or socket

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline gbaddeley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 12:47:28 pm »
I’ve got two 3-1000Z. One on my side of bed, the other on the wife’s side? Maybe not during summer.
Glenn

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf