Author Topic: Electrical Interference  (Read 679 times)

Offline MGaddictTopic starter

• Contributor
Electrical Interference
« on: October 07, 2022, 02:33:06 am »
Disclaimer: I don't know where else to ask something like this. So if moderators don't like this. I'll remove it.

How can basement lights effect a TVs signal?
Setup: I am in the US  I have an antenna in my attic. It connects, right now, to 1 TV in my bedroom on the 2nd floor of the house. The TV is plugged into a surge protector. There is a Nintendo Switch and a Roku plugged into the TV.
Somehow, we have had an issue since we moved into the house over a year ago, most nights the TV gets a great signal, but every now and then, the signal is terrible.
Tonight, the signal was out while I was in the basement. I turned off the lights, and the signal came back. I decided to check, and I can directly effect the TV by switching the basement lights on or off.
I am really trying to figure out how the 2 could be on separate circuits, with a floor in-between, and related.
Last month I removed all the incandescent bulbs and replaced them with LEDs but we had the issue before I did that.
Any help?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Electrical Interference
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 03:00:21 am »
I'm very surprised you had this problem with incandescent bulbs, are they on a dimmer? Some types of fluorescent and LED bulbs are rather effective radio transmitters but I wouldn't expect that to be an issue with incandescent.

Offline austfox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 03:03:50 am »
Are you sure there is nothing else connected to the light switch, such as an exhaust fan?

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 03:10:11 am »
Are you sure there is nothing else connected to the light switch, such as an exhaust fan?

I wondered if you take out all the light bulbs in the basement and see if it still happens when you flick the switch.
iratus parum formica

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 03:17:11 am »
I would start by checking the voltage at the TV both with and without the basement lights on.
It may be one or more bad neutral connections causing the voltage at the TV outlet to change because the return isn’t returning via the neutral conductor.  It also may be a ground fault where the return voltage is wholly or partly returning via a ground connection.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 02:37:41 pm »
there are two possible problems:
1) high RF interference from a bad quality cheap LED lamp
2) there is a bad contact or wire short circuit (for example through water)

Most of LED lamps produce RF interference, good LED has acceptable RF interference level.
Incandescent bulbs doesn't produce RF interference.

But since your issue was present with incandescent bulbs, so you have problem #2 - find bad contact or short circuit. I would suggest you to check power switch at first step. Also try to listen for wiring sparking noise
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 02:46:00 pm by radiolistener »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 05:49:04 pm »
I had vague memories of somebody mentioning this so I looked it up. It turns out vintage style incandescent bulbs have been known to produce interference, although it's behavior that I find surprising.

https://www.emcrules.com/2017/04/can-incandescent-light-bulbs-cause.html

The following users thanked this post: radiolistener

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf