Author Topic: Electrical Parts Inventory/Management system  (Read 36806 times)

Offline CreMindESTopic starter

Electrical Parts Inventory/Management system
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:19:33 pm »
Hi!

I'm just looking around and I'm interested which electrical part inventory/management system do you prefer or would you recommend for home use and which would you recommend for a small-mid sized business?

Regrads, Tamás

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Electrical Parts Inventory/Management system
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:27:35 pm »
I am also interested in this.

There could be a program with a input of name, quantity, price and add it to a database and even specify the component type. Also there should be a search function for the part.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:38:05 pm »
Yeah, I googled around a bit, and found a few one, for example PartKeepr looks nice, but I'm curious of some more experienced guys's opinion than me.  :)

Offline Ajahn Lambda

• Regular Contributor
  • quecksilberdampfgleichrichter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:02:17 pm »
I simply use an Excel spreadsheet, and keep it in my Dropbox so I know what's in my lab wherever I go.  I've created categories by simply keeping the sheets' names indicative of what's on it, e.g. Capacitors, Transistors, Resistors, and so on.  I freeze the top line, which I use for part number, location, vendor, manufacturer, important nominal values like resistance or capacitance, and just keep adding any information that might help me find what I need in the future.  Of course, you can use filters and the search functions, and organize by rows or columns.  With a spreadsheet, your imagination is the only limit, regarding the types of data you want to store, be able to search, etc.  You can even put in links to the parts' data sheets, and if you're good with macros and programming, much more can be done (like automagic part price updating).

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 10:42:55 pm »
Thanks your reply, actually I'm looking for a more sophisticated way, and just looking around to determine whether there is a free and good program for it or I shouldn't search it instead of trying writing one for my own requirements.

Offline ashley.hughes

• Regular Contributor
  • Rather by taught than told
    • Arduino Tutorials
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 01:17:41 am »
I personally just wrote a small CoreData (Mac's built in database) application.

It allows me to store parts with names qty and pictures, in different Toolbox's (Locations) as most of my parts are in fishing box's.

If you have played around with software design and programming before, it is a fairly easy project to start with and is really rewarding.

Just don't do what I did and smash together different ideas as you go. Stop write down what you want how etc. Depending on the language you choose to go with there will be a lot of tutorials for working with databases around
My Blog -> http://hughesy.net/wp
My Blog has some tutorials for Arduino mainly based around the mac environment, with xBee and  AppleScript
Starting 2nd year Electrical engineering

Offline Rutger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 02:30:26 am »
Hi, if you are trying to build boards and keep track of parts on stock and order stuff etc. Google for BOM software (Bill of Material).

Rutger

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:43:27 am »
I have all this and more in a package I wrote in php on a LAMP server. It's web driven and multi-user. I haven't packaged the source up and made it open source yet, but that's just because it's extra work for me :)
If you have a LAMP server running in your facility (for email, dns etc) then you can add this to it very easily.
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline ashley.hughes

• Regular Contributor
    • Arduino Tutorials
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:59:06 am »
I have all this and more in a package I wrote in php on a LAMP server. It's web driven and multi-user. I haven't packaged the source up and made it open source yet, but that's just because it's extra work for me :)
If you have a LAMP server running in your facility (for email, dns etc) then you can add this to it very easily.
I have been wanting to make a decent PHP based web app for a while. I have MySQL and PHP installed on my mac. You code the layout by hand or use a nice editor?
My Blog has some tutorials for Arduino mainly based around the mac environment, with xBee and  AppleScript

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 07:16:15 am »
Layout is coded by hand, using a set of templates, making it easy to change things.

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 07:22:06 am »
Partkeepr looks very good. i will give it a try.

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 07:46:57 am »
I found Arena PartSaver today and it looks like a winner although perhaps not exactly what the origianl poster needs.

PartSaver is a java-enabled bookmark.  When you're on a component at Digikey, Mouser, Newark or etc, clicking on this link extracts part number, description, price and so forth from the page, and gives you the option to save it into a Google Docs spreadsheet.  It works with many vendors; the required info can be entered into a dialog box if not.

This works well for me and saves the usual copying and pasting I have to go through to find multiple sources and pricing.

You do have to have a Google Docs account (just a matter of opening a Gmail account) and give Arena access to it.

The above link has a video that shows how it works.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:48:45 am by Jon Chandler »

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 09:13:01 am »
Wow guys, I wasn't expecting such a relative big number of comments. Huge thanks. Actually, as I've written, I'm just looking around. I don't know exactly why, but I don't like the idea of a web based one, because it's not enough portable and - for me - not powerful enough, although it has its advantages.
All in all, I'm just playing with the idea of writing a multiplatform native app if I'll have the time for it.

Offline ashley.hughes

• Regular Contributor
    • Arduino Tutorials
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 12:22:21 pm »
Layout is coded by hand, using a set of templates, making it easy to change things.

That is where me and PHP/HTML fall apart, I hate having to lay things out by code, send us a screen of what it looks like would be awesome

Offline brizleciderarmy

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 01:18:51 pm »
I started working on a database/inventory program for my components too a few months back which uses PHP/MySQL.

I managed to get the basics done and get it functional but just haven't had the time to complete it. Fingers crossed over the next few months i can get it done. Once complete, anyone who who wishes for a copy is more than welcome.

I will let yous know when it is complete. Heres a current screenshot.

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 10:06:57 pm »
Looks promising, good luck with it brizleciderarmy ;)

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 10:28:39 pm »
I had to write this when I was packing up and moving a couple of times. I had so many parts in different places I was having difficulty trying to find something to complete various projects. Now I know where they are and how many I have (approximately), plus easy access to documentation for everything!

Making it web based on a server means that I can access it from any of the desktops or mobile devices, which is very convenient.

A few screen shots to tantalise...

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline Short Circuit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 12:02:14 am »
Looks nice DrGeoff,
Is this project to be published or commercialized? (Ideally running on a typical LAMP server configuration of course.)
Does it also keep track of production? So that one can substract the partscount according BOM & qty produced from the stock?

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 12:36:24 am »
Eventually I'll publish it as free software. There's a couple of things I'd like to add. I have been using it for several years now and made operational improvements along the way.
It keeps track of production units by serial number, allowing a test/repair log to be tracked (in case of systemic faults) and also MAC addresses/firmware assignments where applicable. It does not perform automatic adjustment of material inventory count through BOM issue, that's still a manual thing. I had not intended it to be a production level material inventory application.
It runs on a typical LAMP server (I'm using FC12 on the current server that also does mail and dns caching) and is written in PHP with some javascript, html and css as well.

Offline brizleciderarmy

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 02:26:32 am »
Top notch DrGeoff. I like the look of that.

Offline Ajahn Lambda

• Regular Contributor
  • quecksilberdampfgleichrichter
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 02:42:37 am »
I found Arena PartSaver today and it looks like a winner although perhaps not exactly what the origianl poster needs.

Wow, that's impressive!  Thanks for sharing.   :D

I like a few of the other solutions proposed in this thread too; my #1 concern is, do they allow the user to exercise customization of categories, much like the 'filtering' of columns or rows in Excel?  Or am I 'stuck' using the defaults?  As long as that freedom offered, I'm on board.  Heck, even if not, I might give these a try anyway; even the screenshots show that a great deal of effort has been put forth.  There's truly a demand out there for such software, as demonstrated by this thread.

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 02:46:20 am »
Click the 'Categories' button and add/edit at will. Same goes for just about everything else.

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 09:29:07 am »
I found zparts. It looks very interesting. It saves the parts in some excel compatible file format. I think it is a java frontend for excel files.

Link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/zparts/

What would be reat is a search function, mysql database, bom file creation(so you know what to buy).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:37:04 am by shebu18 »

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 09:01:43 am »
Any news on thes theme? I tried zParts but it is a bit to basic.
PartKeepr has some problems with installing. I will try it again later.
Anybody found something new?

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 06:51:47 am »
I keep the label in the box, and order a few more of the part when it's getting low.
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf