Author Topic: Electrolux Washing machine motor driver - Repair?  (Read 771 times)

Offline Formula400Topic starter

Electrolux Washing machine motor driver - Repair?
« on: June 06, 2022, 03:03:00 pm »
Just replaced a motor driver for a industrial size washing machine at work. I work as a janitor and had telephonic support from a service technician to identify the problem with this washer. Replacing the motor driver unit solved the problem with the machine. Btw - The washer initially displayed an error message indicating motor driver malfunction.
Just out of curiosity i have now had a closer look at the motor driver. Only obvious sign of damage is a heat damaged diode. See pic

I believe this is a Philips BZD142W based on the identifier number 12 on the SOD87. This is also supporter by the fact that the http://www.ic72.com/pdf_file/b/154774.pdf]ZenBlock application note [url]http://www.ic72.com/pdf_file/b/154774.pdf [/url] mention this:
The ZenBlock can be used in combination with off-line PWM
controllers.
The TNY254GN next to the damaged diode is in fact a PWM controller.

Any thoughts on the failure mode and is it possible to find parts to repair this? Should i just give this up or can a guy like me with just basic electronics and soldering skills fix this? ::)

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
Re: Electrolux Washing machine motor driver - Repair?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 07:53:11 pm »
I don't like what I'm seeing.
Heat around the diode is not the issue but pin 5 of the chip is also colored and zener voltage can be 200V.
My estimation for your success is low.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 07:57:13 pm »
IMHO high voltage zener diode is used in snubber circuit. If it became shorted, TNY254 likely failed as well and blew a fuse. Seems like an easy repair.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 08:33:24 pm »
Seems to be a typical appliance failure now, those little "SMPS on a chip" ICs failing, to a point I've seen parts kits offered for more common consumer stuff.

Offline Formula400Topic starter

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 08:55:12 pm »
IMHO high voltage zener diode is used in snubber circuit. If it became shorted, TNY254 likely failed as well and blew a fuse. Seems like an easy repair.
Seems to be a typical appliance failure now, those little "SMPS on a chip" ICs failing, to a point I've seen parts kits offered for more common consumer stuff.
Thank you all for taking your time helping me!
What failed first we will never know i guess. I was already thinking about replacing both components. Great! I was hoping this would be an easy fix!  If the parts are easy to find online i will make an attempt to repair this. The board have diagnostic LED's so i assume i can power it up on the workbench and verify it is happy in standby mode ;D
The Phillips zener diode worries me a bit. Can't find any supplier for this. Any suggestion to a substitute zener? Or even better How can i locate this myself? 

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 09:21:01 pm »
If it's really BZD142W, then you need to know its suffix as they come with different working voltage. Also it's not necessarily bad, probably it is not. Sure it was stressed as hell as darkened PCB shows but it could survive too.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 08:42:11 am »
Changing components and repairing are two different things.

Remove carbon also and restore connectivity.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf