Author Topic: Electronics primers, course material and books  (Read 772925 times)

Offline Doddy883

• Contributor
Re: Electronics primers, course material and books
« Reply #275 on: July 03, 2020, 07:42:43 am »
I've just done my weekly check on what's available at Humble Bundle, and at the moment you can get 17 electronics e-books for £12. Humble Bundle

First post by the way, hi!

Doddy

Offline palpurul

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2020, 08:34:20 am »
If you're interested in analog stuff this book is great: Design With Operational Amplifiers And Analog Integrated Circuits

I hate practical electronics for inventors btw  >:(

The following users thanked this post: Simon_RL

Offline SuperNerd

« Reply #277 on: July 25, 2020, 12:40:42 pm »
Sorry if the NEETS has already been listed. I skimmed all pages quickly and did not see it. The NAVY made a course for all of there electronics and electrical based technicians. It was so useful that the other services started using it. It covers everything from the basics to how radar and other advanced systems work. Most of it is available to the public. Very useful, and from what I can tell, accurate.

https://www.fcctests.com/neets/Neets.htm
http://www.compatt.com/Tutorials/NEETS/NEETS.html

Offline koloko

« Reply #278 on: December 11, 2020, 07:18:46 pm »
Whats a good book for learning about feedback and stability of circuits?

Ive found Automatic Control Systems by Farid Golnaraghi, Benjamin C., Kuo. Is this a good book?

Offline baoancnc

« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2021, 07:28:37 am »
I have found a lot of good document on this topic. thank you

Offline woodge

« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2021, 05:30:08 pm »
While not a dedicated site for tutorials, the articles at the Elliott Sound Products site are some of the best I've ever read, particularly if you're into building audio equipment and/or test gear:

https://sound-au.com/index.html

For instance, I have yet to find a better discussion of DC servo circuits in as concise a format, and his practical, experience-based comments on topics such as heat sinking and op amps are refreshingly direct and helpful.

The top of the Index page (the above URL) doesn't look promising, but scroll down a bit and your patience will be rewarded.  Great stuff!

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #281 on: January 17, 2021, 07:16:21 pm »
Another good easy reading resource is the topic list page for 23 years of Jack Ganssle
http://www.ganssle.com/tem-back.htm

Offline elektronika

« Reply #282 on: March 22, 2021, 07:44:40 pm »
Yes, it is a good and big book. The question is how much time are are ready to invest? I never learned this theory (and probably I should) mainly because of intimidating big books on paper. Another very good book is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Signals-Systems-International-Alan-Oppenheim/dp/0136511759

Nowadays everything is in internet and it is faster and very efficient than a book, because you have cross-check with multiple results, experience from many people, simulations, pictures and so on.
I believe the Schaum's outline series is one of the best start-ups. Link here:

http://people.disim.univaq.it/~costanzo.manes/EDU_stuff/Feedback%20and%20Control%20System_DiStefano_Schaum_Ch01-09.pdf

I hope it helps!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 07:46:35 pm by elektronika »

Offline Vincenzo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #283 on: May 25, 2021, 08:12:04 am »
Throughout my decades in electronics and as an EE undergrad and graduate student, knowing which book or textbook to use was a torturous process of research and trial & error that eventually led me to (in my opinion) the best collection of books that I enjoyed studying in the past and learned a great deal from and those that I still go back to right now. Even though I doubt that they can be acquired for free, I'll use this long thread that I think makes it easier for younger hobbyists and students to find the jewels. They could be found second hand on ebay quite cheap, especially an older edition, since those sciences didn't change much in the last few decades
Here is a short list my favorite books that enjoyed and still have but rarely use now:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:22:53 am by Vincenzo »

Offline Vincenzo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #284 on: May 25, 2021, 08:18:42 am »
And these are the ones that I'll always be in love with:
(For those not familiar with the ARRL, it's the American Radio Relay League and their yearly handbook is as good as The Art of Electronics, for me. A few years old edition like this one is a good compromise between price and content)

Offline Vincenzo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #285 on: May 25, 2021, 08:30:32 am »
Schaum's Outline series is a great resource for studying for tests, learning, and keeping on your bookshelf for reference. I have about 20 of them. There is a book about everything and I never paid for any one book (used, like new) more than $7 with shipping on ebay. The best ones are the Numerical Methods, Electric Circuits, Feedback Control Theory, Analog and Digital Communications Systems, Calculus, Advanced Calculus (it is actually signals and systems), Electromagnetics, ...etc.

This control one for example is a large book of over 500 pages and hundreds of solved and supplementary unsolved ones with answers and examples that has everything a heavy textbook that cost hundreds of dollars has.

Many of them can be found as downloadable PDF with a simple browser search
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:46:39 am by Vincenzo »

Offline Vincenzo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #286 on: May 25, 2021, 08:51:34 am »
I forgot to mention two books. The first is the best book I used when I first studies electronic circuits academically. The second is (I guess) supposed to be a high school textbook, but I discovered much later in life and I still enjoy today. I have other "weird" interests that are a little far from (or at the edges of) EE like radar, tensor analysis, statistical physics, that I won't go through here.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2021, 04:19:41 pm »
see attached (book cover and inside pages) from my book acquisition days - the preface says:

"This manual provides meaningful and practical laboratory support for a circuits course in solid-state electronics at the secondary school level. The student is assumed to be concurrently studying the related theory manual, Theory for Transistor Fundamentals and Circuits, also published by Electronic Aids, Inc., or a compatible text."

There are 26 Experiments - using the plug in modules and other indicated test equipment and passive and active components.
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline Sherlock Ohms

« Reply #288 on: October 30, 2021, 08:44:59 pm »
This link is no longer valid.

Offline rpiloverbd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #289 on: December 21, 2021, 02:23:10 pm »
Thanks a lot. If possible, please add some books on Embedded C programming.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #290 on: February 03, 2022, 05:28:34 am »
University of Colorado Boulder power electronics course. 23hrs of content with entire specialization and 4 courses in 3 videos. See first video and show notes links to course material and video time stamps.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, crankarm, dataist

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #291 on: February 07, 2022, 09:28:44 pm »
Washington Technical College Basic Electronics course. 26hrs of content in 3 videos. Time stamps in show notes. The course text is "Introduction to Electronics" 6th Edition by Earl Gates.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:37:52 pm by Shock »

The following users thanked this post: Utah77, crankarm, dataist

Offline disco221

« Reply #292 on: July 27, 2022, 11:18:36 am »
does anyone have this book : Embedded Systems Fundamentals with ARM Cortex-M based Microcontrollers: A Practical Approach in a pdf format ? I've looked everywhere for it but cant seem to find it. Tried on zlibrary,libgen and every google link.

Offline PixieDust

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #293 on: November 10, 2022, 03:43:15 am »
Some ideas on how to do prototyping:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 06:32:42 am by PixieDust »

Offline Newii

« Reply #294 on: December 07, 2022, 03:24:00 pm »
Does anyone know of a book or online course that talks about the fundamentals of programming with registers? I learned to program STM32 but only with HAL... And I think it's time to roll up your sleeves and learn to program properly hahaha

I found some video tutorials but wanted to see your recommendations.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 02:31:54 am by Shock »

Offline walter.brollo

« Reply #296 on: February 21, 2023, 02:05:02 pm »
Hi, here you can find an interesting video about measuring the noise introduced by an amplifier:

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #297 on: March 29, 2023, 12:19:52 pm »
video on the DC motor control PID example in Hayes's lab book for The Art of Electronics

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline toqeer

• PakISTANI JOBS
« Reply #298 on: September 19, 2023, 07:35:33 am »
If you need any information about electronics, books and course material then this forum will be very helpful for you

Online watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2023, 11:38:31 pm »
If you are looking for a disciplined self study, here is what I am using to emulate a first year course (leaving aside the needed mathematics):

Real Analog on You Tube
Dave's lectures on EEVblog YouTube
NI/Thinkscape Series and Labs
Analog Discovery Package of labs
MIT Courseware
Solid State Workshop Circuit Analysis (You Tube)
Heathkit Basic DC Course

I found all of these were needed for me to finally get the basics of ckt analysis which is the basis for understanding even basic input and output matching.

I was originally taught using the NEETS curriculum but find that overlooks too many nuances.  None of the above covers all the nuances, but seem to dove tail into each other.

Art of Electronics was useless to me.  I think it likely has a place as a refresher.

Took me 2 months with some intense days and several couple day breaks. the labs are important.  AS well as breaks to refresh math.

I DO suggest starting with the REal Analog lectures.  But then you do need to look at other lectures to get a stronger understanding.  I can now look at a network and not panic, which happened after just watching the Real Analog lectures.  Now I just take the long way instead of the smart way; but that will come.

On to caps and coils.

Regards,

Dewey
Regards,

Dewey

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf