Author Topic: Equivalent replacement for MM5416 transistor  (Read 1621 times)

Offline giosifTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Equivalent replacement for MM5416 transistor
« on: January 16, 2017, 10:39:58 pm »
Hi,

I am looking for a suitable replacement for a MM5416 transistor (TO39 package) and I though a 2N5416 would be it.
However, I am facing challenges identifying a proper datasheet for the MM5416, so I can confirm the 2N5416 is indeed suitable (found various such datasheets, but they are normally 1-2 pages long, with few real details and also rather inconsistent across them).

Could anyone please confirm?

Thanks!

Offline eblc1388

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Equivalent replacement for MM5416 transistor
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 12:54:33 am »
To decide if a replacement transistor will work, I often follow these steps, apart from choosing the correct NPN/PNP type:

A) Will it blow up? - Check Vcbo, Vceo, Ic and Pw
B) Will it work? - Check fT, Hfe, Vce(sat)
C) Will it fit? - Check pinout and physical package size
D) Is it available at a reasonable price?

Not all these data might be available for you to make a good comparison but the replacement part should equal or surpass the existing part characteristic in order not to release the magic smoke. Sometimes you have to accept different pinout or package because of part availability.

I looked at both the MM5416 & 2N5416, and 2N5416 is a similar part in (A) & (B) above and they are both TO-39. Don't know the pinout of MM5416 though.

Hope this help.

The following users thanked this post: giosif

Offline giosifTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Equivalent replacement for MM5416 transistor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:21:32 pm »
To decide if a replacement transistor will work, I often follow these steps, apart from choosing the correct NPN/PNP type:

A) Will it blow up? - Check Vcbo, Vceo, Ic and Pw
B) Will it work? - Check fT, Hfe, Vce(sat)
C) Will it fit? - Check pinout and physical package size
D) Is it available at a reasonable price?

Not all these data might be available for you to make a good comparison but the replacement part should equal or surpass the existing part characteristic in order not to release the magic smoke. Sometimes you have to accept different pinout or package because of part availability.

I looked at both the MM5416 & 2N5416, and 2N5416 is a similar part in (A) & (B) above and they are both TO-39. Don't know the pinout of MM5416 though.

Hope this help.

Thanks for that!
In the meantime, I looked at the schematics for the device (i.e. Solartron 7075 multimeter) and it actually specifies 2N5416.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf