Author Topic: ESD earthing plug: should socket be switched on or should it be switched off?  (Read 804 times)

Offline 3rj4Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'm currently using the ESD earth plug https://www.oritech.com.au/clipsal-esd-earth-plug.html to ground my workbench. I've attached the round wire from my workbench mount to the plug, and plugged it into the socket. Since the socket now serves the ESD earthing plug, should it be switched on or should it be switched off?

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Shouldn't make any difference functionally, the earth is not switched, and the A/N are not connected to anything in the plug I assume.

From a safety perspective, I guess off is better than on, but, nothing in the plug is connected to A/N, so, yeah, whatever.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: 3rj4

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
Off, for sure.

Because if it's correctly connected and so it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter.
But if it's not correctly connected and therefore it does matter, off is what you want.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf