Author Topic: ESD rating EN61000-4-2  (Read 1022 times)

Offline hsn93Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
ESD rating EN61000-4-2
« on: July 23, 2019, 06:59:26 am »
hello,

im looking at application note: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00002587A.pdf

page 7:

When a prominent semiconductor manufacturer was contacted with questions concerning language in one of their component data sheets about ESD protection and their claims that it met IEC61000-4-2 level4 requirements, their reply was "Yes, it met level 4 requirements". When asked about the max discharge current, their response was that the "IEC61000-4-2 only specifies a maximum voltage that their component met". However, as you will discover in this application note, it is ultimately all about power,(i.e., I * E), which means that it is not sufficient for the component to meet just the voltage specification,but the peak currents associated with a particular IEC 61000-4-2 test, as well.As a general rule:

1.  If the manufacturer as an example states the component meets 8 kV discharge, but no mention of IEC 61000, this may indicate that it is compliant to the HBM, which is the lesser specification, and the component is not IEC 61000-4-2 compliant (see Table 10-1).

2.  Even when a manufacturer states that they comply with IEC61000-4-2 level 4, but only mentions voltage, but not current, this could indicate that they may or may not comply with all aspects ofIEC61000-4-2. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer for clarification. It is always recommended to design in the respective required protection components based on the level of protection needed.This at least gives the user the option to populate (or not) based on IEC 61000-4-2, IEC 610004-4,and IEC 61000-4-5 testing results. These false and exaggerated claims may also apply to the protection devices themselves.For example, compare the highlighted feature claim for a Transient Voltage Suppressor (TVS)manufacturer in Figure 2-2, and their electrical characteristics specifications with IEC 61000-4-2 in Table 4. Note that the max IPP, (i.e., Peak Pulse Current), data sheet current versus the 30A IPP specified in IEC 61000-4-2 level 4. Despite the manufacturer's misleading claim, this component does not meet all aspects of IEC 61000-4-2 level 4 requirements.

3.  Generally, a TVS should have a rating of 250-400 peak surge watts to meet Level 3 or 4requirements for IEC61000-4-2 contact discharge.

here what i summarize from above paragraph:
- little scary where it looks like manufacturers cheat or mislead.
- time consuming for part selection). specially when i dont know all aspects of the standards im looking to meet.
- im just taking this as example to all other standards that i will have to meet: this paragraph clearly says that (dont trust the first page and look for details)

in page 8 they give example of "misleading" datasheet:

Figure 2-2. Misleading IEC 61000-4-2 Level 4 TVS Data Sheet Example

however!

i searched for the part: https://datasheet.ciiva.com/22661/1876694-22661173.pdf < i think its this one:

there is note 6 which is basically says that this IPP is based on this figure 6

from my understanding this would be near the red marked area here:

while this datasheet just shows the second half of the waveform.. this app note also is mistaken when it consider IPP as peak current clearly datasheet didnt show it as peak current ( i really dont know who have the right here) (or who to trust) ?

-------------------------------------

Offline hsn93Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: ESD rating EN61000-4-2
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 07:16:48 am »
is this in the right forum ???
is it dumb question?
-------------------------------------

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: ESD rating EN61000-4-2
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 09:10:00 pm »
It's a fair question but nobody wants to navigate the slow, disorganized disaster that is ON Semi's website. Fairchild is buried in it too. Sigh.

You'll find a few manufacturers give misleading or fake claims on their TVS diodes for 61000-4-2. You must be careful. The TVS diode survives 10 hits, its "rating" becomes 61000-4-2. Hurray.

But what clamping voltage?
"Since there is no standard IPP or surge waveform for specifying a clamping voltage for ESD protection diodes there is a lot of variance from vendor to vendor."
On Semi AND8308/D Interpretation of Datasheet Parameters for ESD Devices

Most are using a 8/20μs test pulse.

Vishay uses 8/20 μs single shot for IPP and peak pulse power.
ST gives data with a 2.5usec rectangular pulse, and you must know your IPP value to look up clamping voltage.
Laugh at this Diodes Inc DESDA5V3L datasheet that gives no ESD clamping voltage information at all.  :-DD

"ON Semiconductor has developed a way to examine the entire voltage waveform across the ESD protection diode over the time domain of an ESD pulse in the form of an oscilloscope screenshot, which can be found on the datasheets for all ESD protection diodes. For more information on how ON Semiconductor creates these screenshots and how to interpret them please refer to AND8307/D Characterization of ESD Clamping Performance."

Your figure 6 appears to be some alien pulse with the slow rise and very slow msec fall time - no relevance to ESD.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf