Author Topic: AWG 26/7 == AWG 24 in Ethernet cable?  (Read 18349 times)

Offline analogoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
AWG 26/7 == AWG 24 in Ethernet cable?
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:44:32 am »
Wires in Cat6 Ethernet cables should be AWG23 or at least AWG24. While shopping on Conrad I noticed that all the available cables (even the expensive ones) state that they contain AWG 26/7 or AWG 27/7 cables. IIUC 27/7 means 7 strands of AWG 27 wire. Almost an AWG 18 cable (says https://www.wirebarn.com/combined-wire-gauge-calculator_ep_42.html).

Here are a couple of datasheets:

Does AWG 27/7 really mean AWG 23?

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
Re: AWG 26/7 == AWG 24 in Ethernet cable?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 11:46:34 am »
Does AWG 27/7 really mean AWG 23?

You understand correctly that 27/7 is supposed to mean 7 strands of #27 wire, and since the cross-sectional area of each strand of #27 is 0.1mm² the effective area of 7 strands would be equivalent to a single wire that is a little larger than #19.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 02:16:59 pm »
Prime example, why imperial is terrible.
AWG 27 means 0.361 mm diameter. Imagine 7 strands of this. Kinda like a honeycomb, 6 will be around 1. Well not really, but it is easy to imagine. You have 3x the diameter, so it is 1.08mm diameter, between AWG17 and 18. The reason you can still crimp it is because it is easier to deform, and it is not 100% filled. The actual area of the cable is 0.1 mm2 for each strand, so something between AWG18 and 19.

Ah yeah, AWG the smaller, the bigger diameter. go figure.
Someone will explain it, that it is probably someone left foot multipied with a wallnut's area divided by 18, becuase that is a round number, multiplied by how far away a king in england could toss a rock.

The following users thanked this post: Dave, sleemanj, RobertHolcombe, kony, Ian.M, newbrain, sd, capt bullshot

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 04:37:37 am »
Can you please keep your xenophobic crap to yourself? Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:58:25 am »
It is not xenophobic. You are not aliens. I did not attack the united states also, you dont need to defend yourself. It is promertricism.
If you make a stupid system, which is made with stupid expression like

Instead of:
Cross section in mm2
Then I have every right to mock your beloved system.

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, Rerouter, kony, TheUnnamedNewbie, Ian.M

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 05:47:00 pm »
Ah yeah, AWG the smaller, the bigger diameter. go figure.
Someone will explain it, that it is probably someone left foot multipied with a wallnut's area divided by 18, becuase that is a round number, multiplied by how far away a king in england could toss a rock.
I believe it originally referred to the number of times the wire was drawn through a die to thin it out. (Starting from some arbitrary base size, 0ga.) So still arbitrary, but now you know why the number rises as the diameter falls.

Offline Floggedhorse

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 03:15:46 pm »
Maybe or maybe not!

If you look at the HELUKAT® 600 S/FTP 4x2xAWG 26/7 FRNC http://www.helukabel.com/en/products/helukat-reg-600-copper-data-cable-s-ftp-4x2xawg-26-7-frnc-opc-DNT_80294.html?variant=true

It states 26/7 and an Inner conductor diameter 0.48  mm

But if, 1 Cores of 26awg is 0.4049mm diameter, then 7 together would be 1.2147mm diameter

So into the shed to grab some :)

Stripping and measuring 1 individual strand == 0.14mm to 0.15mm (let say 0.145mm) - but that's not 26AWG more like 35 AWG

But at least the the inner OD is closer :)  (if I twist the wires together and measure all 7 then I get 0.47mm diameter (that's close))

But what about the sleeve that's 0.97mm or about 18.5 AWG

Whats size of a RJ45 do I buy :( , do they make it up as well! - Its Friday afternoon and my head is spinning !:)

Oh yes Sir! "xenophobic" is word that I had to ask google! In my book of plain speaking English any word with more than three syllable's is in itself, "the four letter word you used in your description" :) ... oh yes you got me going now... http://ssl.gstatic.com/dictionary/static/sounds/20160317/aluminium--_gb_1.8.mp3  ...

Have a nice day :)

Edit
I've asked HeluKAT - lets see what their customer response is like.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 03:38:42 pm by Floggedhorse »

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 06:01:03 pm »
It is not xenophobic. You are not aliens. I did not attack the united states also, you dont need to defend yourself. It is promertricism.

I totally agree. The remark was not xenophobic. Actually, it should even not be that far from the truth.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 08:10:14 pm »
I was working in England, and the local engineer asked me if "4 millimeter" wire were big enough.  I thought about it, and said "sure", not knowing that he actually meant "4 square millimeter area" wire.  Noticeable difference.  AWG is always AWG.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 02:48:44 pm »
Related topic -   Few years ago we purchased boxes of brand name CAT-6 cable to provide Ethernet for a trade show.  Many of the runs would be close to the 100 M limit.  As we began testing the cable drops, we found some weren’t passing Ethernet traffic.  A quick continuity test indicated continuity and no crossed pairs.  In summary what we found was the cable runs exceeding around 60 meters were marginal or would not work.

Puzzled by this we had the wire analzyed and found the copper content of the wire was too low to reliably propagate an Enthernet signal over 50-60 meters and the amount of Tin in the wire was exceptionally high.

What we think happened was we were sold immatation goods.  To keep the cost low, the manufacture skimmed on the copper content and added Tin and other less conductive metals to the wire.

We replaced the wires in the longer runs with “known good” cable and they worked.

Interesting lessen learned.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 08:37:01 pm »
If you make a stupid system, which is made with stupid expression like

Instead of:
Cross section in mm2
Then I have every right to mock your beloved system.
I am impressed by this definition and the pertaining discussion.
(Impressionability measured in imperial birdsfoot, which is taken by determining the depth of impression left by a 12-stone ostrich after standing unmoved 1/336 of a forthnight during an average British land rain)

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 02:22:23 am »
Hey don't think the metric system is any better.  Not sure if you are aware, but a kg doesn't weigh a kg anymore.  Or more accurately the "Le Grande K” and or "International Prototype Kilogram” IPK which is what defines the kg in now lighter then it's copies.  Radio Lab has an excellent podcast on the history of the kg.
http://www.radiolab.org/story/kg/

Or you can read about it here.
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2016/06/the_weight_of_a_kilogram_will_be_redefined_in_2018_with_a_sharper_planck.html

In 2018 we are to have an new kg. 

Offline Floggedhorse

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 10:29:05 am »
I have the answer - Tops marks to HeluKat (Working on a Saturday)

From HeluKat - this relates to there HELUKAT® 600 S/FTP 4x2xAWG 26/7 FRNC

ie what is "26/7"

7 strands combined at 0.15mm gives a core cross sectional area of 0.124mm.

0.124mm is the cross sectional area of the cable core. This equates to AWG 26.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:34:17 am by Floggedhorse »

Offline Floggedhorse

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 10:35:22 am »
I have the answer - Tops marks to HeluKat (Working on a Saturday)

From HeluKat - this relates to there HELUKAT® 600 S/FTP 4x2xAWG 26/7 FRNC

ie what is "26/7" (had to correct the maths)

7 strands combined at 0.15mm gives a core cross sectional area of 0.124mm. 0.45mm.

0.124mm is the cross sectional area of the cable core. This equates to AWG 26.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:40:02 am by Floggedhorse »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 11:05:34 am »
Hey don't think the metric system is any better.  Not sure if you are aware, but a kg doesn't weigh a kg anymore. 

You do realize all imperial masses are calibrated against the metric kilogram correct?

Due to the way standards work, a kilogram is still that IPK, atleast until it is redefined, because even though it may not be as stable as assumed, it is still the kilogram, everything is in relation to it,

The new KG will be defined off the watt-balance, a derived measurement from fundamentals of the universe, which again, will equally define the imperial ones after a conversion factor.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 05:28:10 pm »
Hey don't think the metric system is any better.  Not sure if you are aware, but a kg doesn't weigh a kg anymore. 

You do realize all imperial masses are calibrated against the metric kilogram correct?

Due to the way standards work, a kilogram is still that IPK, atleast until it is redefined, because even though it may not be as stable as assumed, it is still the kilogram, everything is in relation to it,

The new KG will be defined off the watt-balance, a derived measurement from fundamentals of the universe, which again, will equally define the imperial ones after a conversion factor.

Did the Silicon sphere lose out as the new “IPK”?

https://youtu.be/ZMByI4s-D-Y

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf